Chapter 20

Flashback

In a tower, Rose Red was pacing back and forth as she breathed heavily.

"My, oh, my, so tense," Rose Red flinched and turned to see Rumpelstiltskin, "Now, what could be making the lightest ruler do a dark deed?" Rumpelstiltskin asked.

"She's... I... I... I don't know," Rose Red said.

"Is someone stepping on your toes? Getting in the way? Trying to... Take control?" Rumpelstiltskin asked.

"Feels like it," Rose Red said.

"Allow me to show you something," He brought out a crystal ball and waved his hand over it to see Young Rose Red and Regina horseback riding through the forest, "She was like your mother, and you the perfect daughter. You're stronger than you know Rose. You're lighter than you know. Remember who your father wanted you to be, to rule with a... Kind heart, fair justice and love," Rumpelstiltskin said.

"Why do you want Regina alive?" Rose Red asked.

"That's my business, but I need you light and you need to stay light," Rumpelstiltskin said and they turned to the window, hearing the bell ring.

"It's time," Rose Red said.

"If you want her to live, it's time to decide," Rumpelstiltskin said and disappeared in dark purple smoke.

Outside two knights escorted The Evil Queen to the middle of the courtyard, where a crowd had gathered to watch. The Evil Queen was chained to a pole, she looked at the gathered crowd. Prince Charming and Snow White sat in their thrones, there was a spare larger throne for Rose Red, but she didn't arrive.

A line of knights armed with bows stood in front of the Evil Queen. Jiminy Cricket flew over to her, "Regina. This is your opportunity to meet your end with a clear conscience. Do you have any last words," Jiminy Cricket said.

"Yes. Yes, I do. I know I'm being judged for my past. A past where I've caused pain, a past where I've inflicted misery, a past where I've... Even brought death. When I look back at everyone I've done, I want you all to know what I feel. And that is... Regret," Her voice was soft before she looked up at the crowd coldly, "Regret, that I was not able to cause more pain. Inflict more misery. And being about more death," She looked at Rose Red's chair, "To the future Queen, I regret not being the mother you deserved and I regret fighting with you instead of for you," The Evil Queen looked Snow White, "And above all else, with every ounce of my being, I regret that I was not able to kill... Snow White!" The Evil Queen said.