Chapter 30: "Let's hangout"

We spent the entire Sunday together, I did my homework and she caught up with all the work she had missed. She took me to my house, and I got some of my stuff. I decided I would take my motorcycle so that we don’t have to worry about being seen together. We drove side to side most of the time, except from when she wanted to show off. She would speed past me and then slow down. We got home and lay on the bed.

-“You like showing off”

-“Maybe” She smiled.

-“Please don’t close up again, I love you Dani”

-“I won’t, Cam, I love you too and you make me happy. I haven’t been happy in so long” Once again we fell asleep in each other’s arms.

The next day we left her house at the same time, I got to school earlier and told Ed and Izzy everything that happened during the weekend, they were surprised by her behavior, they didn’t expect her to be so soft.

The rest of the day was boring, I was doing well in all my classes and I was dying to see my grades but they had been sent to my dad via email and I probably couldn’t access them without him coming to school. Yes, parents had to come to pick up our report cards.

We made out way to English and she was standing at the door greeting the students, she was slightly smiling. We sat down and Izzy nudged my arm but I ignored her.

-“Hello everyone, for the next couple of weeks we’ll be reading a book, we’ll do a basic analysis, you’ll get a few assignments and maybe a test.” She smiled. “It’s a classic book that maybe some of you have already read.” “Who in here has read ‘How to kill a Mockingbird’?”

Me, Izzy and another girl raised our hands and she seemed surprised.

-“Ms. Thompson, I wasn’t expecting that. So, do you think it was worth reading?”

-“What can I say, I’m full of surprises” I joked and the class laughed “Yes, it’s definitely worth reading” I said in a more serious tone.

She then proceeded to ask Izzy and the other girl the same. She passed the book around.

-“The only thing you have to do for tomorrow is to read chapter one, we will be discussing it so make sure you are prepared. For the rest of the class, I want you to write me a small essay about the meaning of books in your life. I don’t want to read stupid cliché answers, I want real ones, if you don’t read don’t be afraid to write it. And if you have any questions feel free to ask me” The whole class started writing and so did I.

I was never a bookworm but I enjoyed reading a good book every once in a while. My mum loved books and she would always give me the best one’s to read. After her death I haven’t been reading that much.

I started writing my thoughts on a loose piece of paper until my hand started cramping, I finished as the bell rang and got up and handed it to her.

-“Hand in your paper and you are free to go” I waited for everyone to leave, Izzy and Ed stayed behind with me.

She locked the door and turned to look at us.

-“Can I help you?” She said amused and my friends stood there staring at her.

-“Uhm no” Ed mumbled.

-“Are things ok between you two now?” Izzy asked and Dani nodded.

-“Yes, I’m done being a selfish bitch” She said.

-“Are you done being selfish or being a bitch?” Ed said and I could sense the hostility in his voice.

-“Both” She said with a hint of sadness.