Part One | 43

Chapter 43

Love's What You Need

Spinning my keys on my middle finger with the silver chain, I opened the doors to St. Anne's. The intercom looked dirtier than the last time I saw it. Pressing the white, circular button in the lower left hand corner, the low drone echoed in the small entrance area.

"Name?"

"Uh, Brayden Pierson." My last name fell out of my mouth before I could even think. I furrowed my eyebrows. I hadn't even thought about it and I said it. Usually, it wouldn't feel weird like it does right now. Maybe because I was always Brayden Palmer here, or whenever I say I'm Brayden Pierson, I'm with the Piersons. It's all just a big complicated mess.

"Brayden?"

I could hear that it was Mrs. Armstrong now. Immediately, the doors were unlocked and I entered my old orphanage. The familiar smell of the building felt like home. It wasn't close to home, but this was where Brayden Palmer lived his life. This was the Splintered Brayden.The sounds of the creaking floor were almost like music to my ears. Even though this wasn't my favorite place, it definitely was a relief to come back to it. I felt completely comfortable, like I was myself and I'm not lying all the time.

Mrs. Armstrong stood a few feet away from me, almost smiling. I never thought I'd see her smile.

She crossed her arms and lowered her lips into a confident smirk. "Brayden Patrick Palmer Pierson. Look at you."

I shrugged, blushing. "It's good to see you." Even though I never thought I'd ever say those words to her.

"I'll say! I've heard about your grades in Constance."

I nodded hesitantly. If she knew about my grades, she must've talked to the Piersons. Does she know that I ran away?

"I always knew you were a smart kid."

I didn't know whether to take that as a compliment or an insult considering I went to school here. Switching my weight onto the other foot, I glanced at her.

"So you've talked to the Piersons?"

She nodded. "Only when they found out about your grades a couple weeks ago. They didn't say you'd be coming by, though."

I shrugged quickly. "We're visiting family and I suggested I come down to visit."

Mrs. Armstrong watched me skeptically.

I pressed my lips together uncomfortably. "Is Bobby, Riley, and Josephine here?"

She nodded. "They're probably upstairs. Go ahead."

I grinned tightly at her. I couldn't remember the last time I had a civil conversation with Mrs. Armstrong. I honestly didn't even know it was possible.

On my way upstairs, I ran into Sister Agatha, very suddenly actually. I was shocked when her arms stopped me.

"Oh my goodness! Brayden?!"

"Hi," I breathed.

As awful as it is, I hadn't thought much about Sister Agatha while I was away. I loved her, though. I would never call her my mom or anything, but there was something about her that was very motherly. She had been at St. Anne's much longer than Mrs. Armstrong, and she was probably my favorite Sister.

"I didn't know you were coming."

"To be honest, I didn't either," I laughed.

"Well, tell me! How's Rhode Island?"