Part One | 33

Chapter 33

Marie

Sifting vigorously through my locker, I was freaking out because I was pretty sure I left my chemistry homework back home on my desk. It could be in the book maybe. I took it out and turned to page 253, but it wasn't there - much to my annoyance.

"Busy lookin' for your dignity?" Zech's excruciatingly irritating voice sounded next to me.

I rolled my eyes. Class would start any second. "Yeah, yeah. What do you want, Zech?"

"There's a rumor goin' round about me, Pierson."

I opened my chemistry folder again. Gah, it's not here! Frustrated, I slammed my locker and turned, heading towards my class. "And how is that my problem?"

Suddenly, I was spun around and the front of my uniform shirt was in Zech's fist. "What'd ya say, huh, Pierson?"

I ripped his hands from my clothes and stepped closer to him. "I didn't say anything. I don't know what you're talking about." And I didn't. I had no idea what rumor was going around about him.

"Listen here, you little shit." He pointed at me. "What I said at Sweethearts was the damn truth. If you can't handle that, then leave Constance. It'll do us all a favor."

I threw his hand away from my face. "I don't know what the crap you're talking about, Zech. I didn't say no stupid rumor about you." I lifted my bag up on my shoulder, and went towards Chemistry again.

"Oh, I'm sure. Yeah, you didn't say shit. You're just perfect, aren't ya, Pierson."

"Why do you care so much if rumors are going around, Zech?"

He grabbed my shoulder and turned me around a second time, forcing me to face him. "Because people are saying that I lied about you being an orphan, which we all know is true, and that I was drunk at Sweethearts. And then other people are saying I had weed, too, and I know you started the rumors, no matter which ones they were! I can get expelled if that gets to the teachers! And you know what's worse? Girls are callin' me stuff, Pierson." His jaw ticked. "Including Collie." 

I rolled my eyes. "Again, how is that my problem?"

He narrowed his eyes at me. "Only one person has been expelled from Constance, and that's Bailey White, and I'm not going to have my name next to his on the expulsion list!"

He was about to reply, but I shook my head and stepped back. "Look, Zech, I don't know who Bailey White is and I don't care. Leave me alone, alright?"

He raised an eyebrow. "You don't know about Bailey White."

He didn't say it like a question. He said it like he realized it was true. It was. I had no idea who Bailey White was.

When Zech realized it was the truth, he smirked. "So that's why you're still with Collie."

I shook my head and turned around, not having the energy to talk about whatever nonsense he was spilling. 

"Why don't you ask her, Pierson?" he yelled. "And let me know what she says."

I didn't pay attention to him. Zech had no phase on me. Whatever he said I was learning to dismiss.

...

"Hey, Brayden," I heard Grady greet once I entered the locker room.

"Hey, Gray," I smiled. "Bring clean clothes this time?"

He nodded. "You bet. I couldn't forget after smelling the locker last class."

I laughed. "You gotta start making washing your clothes a habit."