Part One | 16

Chapter 16

Official

Yesterday, we left back to Barrington after saying a lot of goodbyes and I love you's. I exchanged phone numbers with Josh and Jackie, even though I didn't really speak to her a whole lot. It wasn't awkward so I guess I'd keep to my word and talk to them.

Afterwards, my sisters and I all packed into the car and we went home.

Two and a half hours later, I felt like I could breathe again. It was an odd feeling, just like the one where I'd spent the night here and went back to St. Anne's.

Collie texted me the whole ride back and I was almost tempted to invite her over, but I knew that I needed to handle having Grady and Andrew over at the same time first, and probably because Ursanne would hate me if I had Collie over.

I asked Melissa and Greg if they could spend the day here and they thought it was a great idea.

And so today, the plans were set. Almost three o'clock, Andrew texted me saying he was outside. I was in my room when I got the text message and rushed downstairs only to see Ursanne at the door.

"Oh, uh, um-"

"Uh, isn't Bray-"

"I'm here," I said, opening the door a little wider behind my sister.

Ursanne jerked her head towards me. "I didn't know people were coming over?"

I nodded. "Yeah, Grady's comin' too," I smiled.

Andrew stood awkwardly before us. I stepped aside so he could come in. Andrew's hair was spiked up and he wore black basketball shorts and a green NIKE shirt with a basketball at his hip. He had his spot in the popular crowd and I was glad he was kind of sacrificing it today.

"So," Andrew said when he fully entered. "Is Grady here?"

I shook my head. "Not yet. Ursanne, let me know when he comes, okay?"

"O-okay," she said, almost seeming like she didn't listen to a word I said.

I looked away and motioned Andrew to our back yard which did, of course, have a basketball court which I never found to be useful until now. We began playing as we waited for Grady to join us.

"So, what do you plan on doing with us both here?" Andrew asked, throwing the ball to me.

I shot and missed. "I don't know. Change both of your ideas?"

Andrew caught the ball, but he didn't shoot it, nor did he pass it to me. "Both?"

"Yeah?"

"What does Grady think of me?"

"He thinks of you what he thinks of Zech."

Andrew frowned. "Nobody likes Zech."

"Exactly and if he thinks of you the way he thinks of Zech-"

"I'm not a bad person," Andrew muttered, kicking the cement with his shoe.

"But you're thought of one."

Andrew jerked his head towards me, but didn't say anything. Just as I was about to enlighten him on how his actions speak louder than words, Ursanne opened the back door. She glanced at Andrew and then turned to me.

"Grady's here."

I smiled and rushed towards the door. Grady stood in a baggy sweatshirt and some shorts himself.

"We're playin' basketball, Gray."

He shook his head. "I'll watch."

I gave him a flat look. "Grady-"