Part One | 6

Chapter 6

Stress

"Alright, well I'll see you after school, Brayden," Ursanne said, looking up from her phone and glancing at me.

I smiled at her. "Um, Ursanne?"

Once her eyes met mine, I said, "I just wanted to say thanks."

She stared at me. "What?"

"For, you know, being okay with it."

Her eyes narrowed at me and her eyebrows furrowed. "You're welcome?"

I smiled brighter, tucking a thumb under my backpack strap. "See you later."

"Bye..." she trailed off.

I nodded and headed the opposite direction, leaving her standing alone. I wondered if she had been faking her confusion, but I decided not to let it bother me. I noticed Collie walking not far ahead of me. I briskly advanced towards her, stepping to her left.

"Hi, Collie."

She turned her head, catching my eye. Instantly, she beamed. "Hey!"

"What class are you going to?" I asked her.

"Algebra II. Um, Brayden, about yesterday, I'm really sorry for being rude. I shouldn't have said stuff like that. I'm sure Grady is a great person."

I appreciated her apology and smiled. "It's okay." 

Technically, I'd already forgiven her. After yesterday, I realized she did probably feel bad and when I woke up this morning, I didn't really want to hold onto any grudges. 

"Uh, Collie?" a boy said next to her.

She turned her head. The same boy who had tripped me stood next to her side. He was just slightly taller than me with a strong jawline, dark blue eyes, and jet black hair. His eyebrows were raised as he waited for an answer from her. 

"You never texted me back," he said.

"Right. About that..." She lowered her gaze and shook her head. "I don't think so, Zech."

"It's one night, Collie."

She shrugged. "Fridays are off limits."

He scoffed. "They weren't ever before."

"Fine, I'll see, okay?"

He glanced at me and sighed. "Whatever. I'll catch you in class."

She groaned and then finally put her attention towards me. "Sorry. What's up?"

I shook my head. "Oh, um, nothing. I just saw you."

She smiled shyly. "And you wanted to say hi?"

I shrugged, feeling my face heat up.

Collie giggled. "You're... a really nice person."

My face felt even hotter. Probably realizing I was embarrassed, she pointed at the boy who'd just left.

"Hey, um, so... There's a party this weekend. On Friday. That's actually what Zech was talking to me about." She pointed in his direction, but I could no longer see him. "I wasn't planning on going but... I was just thinking, you know, maybe you'd like to come with me. If I'm able to go."

I stared at her, nearly tripping over my feet. Collie looked away and lifted her shoulders, making her collar bones much more prominent than how they really are. My mouth suddenly became dry at her offer and I was beginning to get a lot more nervous than I was just seconds ago.