Part One | 12

Chapter 12

Trick-or-Treat

The drive to Dr. Hamelon's was light hearted, full of upbeat music. Melissa had a great liking for a band called Chicago, and her favorite song was "Saturday, In the Park" which began to become a song that I really liked as well. It put me in a good mood, which was great, since I don't particularly like therapy.

I don't know why, but my feelings towards Dr. Hamelon were... off. I just didn't like her. She was forceful and stern, two things that reminded me of stupid Mrs. Armstrong.

"Ready, Brayden?" Melissa asked, taking the keys out of the ignition.

"Yeah."

We both got out of the car, and Melissa locked it with the remote key. Entering the small office and taking a seat on the leather couches of the lobby, Melissa signed us in, speaking a few extra words to the lady at the desk.

It was a long wait until Dr. Hamelon was finally able to talk to me.

"Hey, Brayden," she smiled, stepping aside so I could pass her into her office.

"Hi."

She shut the door after giving Melissa a firm nod. I took a seat in the usual spot across from her computer chair on the other side of the coffee table that sat between us. She followed suit, sitting in her own chair. Grasping her clipboard and taking off the pen cap with her teeth, she asked me how I've been.

I shrugged. "I've been okay."

"Have you been adjusting well with everything?"

I nodded, avoiding eye contact.

"With school?"

I nodded hesitantly, briefly remembering the party Zech had thrown.

"That's good," she sighed. She knew I wasn't telling the truth.

"Tell me, Brayden, do you like your new home better than where you used to be?"

I thought for a moment. "What do you mean?"

I knew exactly what she meant, but I didn't want to answer the question. There were so many things I did and didn't like about Rhode Island and the Piersons. I hated the large house and the never ending supply of money, but I loved the girls and I loved the freedom I had now.

"D-do you mean, do I like this better than the orphanage or, like, my old parents'-"

"Your old parents' place. Do you like your new place here?"

I nodded slowly. "I still miss, you know, my real family."

As soon as the words left my mouth, I felt like I had just rammed a bar of soap into my mouth. My real family was the Piersons - and perhaps my grandmother. My real family was not my biological parents.

"Are you afraid that your new parents will abuse you?"

I stared at her, blinking, totally taken aback. "Abuse me, what? Why would I be afraid-"

Dr. Hamelon peered at me through her thin glasses. "Your previous parents were-"

I shook my head furiously. "My parents never hit me, Dr. Hamelon."

She pursed her lips. "Are you lying, Brayden?"

I shook my head again. "No! My father's never hit me!"

"And your mother?"

I scoffed. "As if my mom was around enough to even touch me!"

Dr. Hamelon let out a long breath. "Very well."