17: Like Her

15 minutes ago, Nan Ge thought to herself.

I’m dying of laughter. Am I the kind of person who would bend over backward for the sake of money?

Fifteen minutes later, she had to apologize and admit that she was exactly that kind of person!

“Welcome! How many of you are there?”

The waitress, Nan Ge, promptly started working.

——

An hour passed in the blink of an eye as she worked.

While Nan Ge was resting, the manager poured her a glass of water. “Thank you for your hard work. I really didn’t want to call you over, but two waiters took leave today.”

“There are more customers than usual tonight, so there’s really not enough manpower.”

“It’s fine. I’m good.” Nan Ge drank half a glass of water in one go. She took a deep breath and continued, “I really don’t mind helping. As long as you…”

She paused and rubbed her fingers with a smile.

The manager chuckled. “In good time.”

“Don’t play any emotional cards with me later. Although this is my brother’s restaurant, I’m a very materialistic person. I’ve never cared about anyone. I only care about money and not people.”

The manager’s lips twitched.

“Quick, quick, quick. We have guests.”

Seeing someone push the door open and enter, the manager quickly pushed her forward and sent her away.

“Remember that.” Before Nan Ge left, she did not forget to turn around and gesture a heart with her fingers.

“…” There was no need to say anything.

“Hello! Welcome to Irelyn! May I ask… what a coincidence!”

Looking at the familiar figure, Nan Ge smiled and waved.

After not seeing her for a few days, Shen Yanqing heard a familiar voice as soon as he entered the door.

He thought he was hallucinating, but when he looked up, he saw a little girl in a black uniform with pigtails running toward him.

Who else could it be but Nan Ge?

A quizzical gaze landed on Nan Ge as he carefully sized her up from head to toe.

“Shouldn’t you be in school at this time? Have you already revised?”

Nan Ge shook her head gently. “It’s too busy at the restaurant today. The manager asked me to help at the last minute. I just got here.”

As soon as she finished speaking, the door behind Shen Yanqing opened and closed, and a few more people came in.

When they saw Shen Yanqing standing at the door without moving, they followed his gaze and looked at Nan Ge. Their eyes lit up.

“What’s the matter, Yanqing? Are you friends?”

Shen Yanqing nodded slightly but did not say anything.

Then, his gaze landed on Nan Ge again. He asked softly, “Is there a private room?”

Nan Ge nodded and said skillfully, “Yes, please come this way. I’ll take you there. Be careful of the steps.”

Shen Yanqing and his group of six were high school classmates. Since they were free and happened to be nearby, they came out for supper.

After entering the private room, Nan Ge handed over the menus one by one. “This is our menu. Everyone can take a look and see if there’s anything you want to eat.”