Meeting Hiccup

Iris's POV

Today I was going to start working. Even though I was only 9, it was the Viking custom was to start working at that age or even younger.

Here on Berk it is freezing 9 months of the year and Chilly the other three. The Village is over 3 centuries old, yet every building is new. The Reason? Dragons. About three times a week we have Dragon Raids. They come and steal food, burning houses along the way, and then fly off to who knows where.

When I turn 15 I am expected to start training to fight the dragons but I am definitely not looking forward to it.

I am one of the few Vikings that are against fighting dragons, there are only two others that I know of that are like me. My mother and a good friend of hers that was taken by a dragon 9 years ago. I think her name was Valka, the Chief's wife.

Anyways, back to the present. I had finished breakfast and was heading out to where I would be working. The Forge. My mother said it was the best job for me so that I wouldn't have to go out and fight dragons or be in danger. Well in danger of dragons at least.

There were still many things in the forge that are dangerous but we're vikings! We don't really care about that sort of thing.

Soon I was at the forge ready to learn Blacksmithing. As soon as I entered I was greeted by our blacksmith Gobber. "Hello there, you must be Iris, right?" I nodded and smiled slightly. I was shy around others because I was different. Mostly because I didn't like fighting dragons but also because I am considered a runt. Although my mother thinks nothing of it, and I am glad.

In a few moments Gobber was instructing me (very briefly) before sending me off to sharpen weapons. He said something like 'I believe in learning on the job' before going off to make weapons or something like that.

After about half an hour I finally got the hang of sharpening the weapons so they were very sharp, and was soon ready for more weapons as I had only started with three.

I went straight to Gobber who seemed to be talking to a small boy. I listened in while waiting only to find out that he seemed to be telling the boy how to sharpen weapons too. Although just as brief as I was lectured. Soon Gobber sent the boy over to sharpen weapons only to turn around and see me.

"I came for more weapons to sharpen?" I said in a question like way. "Ah okay, I'll be a minute. How about you introduce yourself to the Chief's son? You'll be working with him from now on." "He is the Chief's son? " I asked. Gobber simply nodded and shoved me over to the boy.

"Hiccup, meet Iris. Iris meet Hiccup. I'll be back with some more weapons soon, but until then why don't you two introduce yourselves?" He said while walking away.

"You sort of already did that for us. " I mumbled, watching as he walked away. I turned back to the boy named Hiccup to see him turning his head in my direction too. "Um, so are you gonna work here too?" I asked him. Slightly leaning my head to one side. He nodded, also seeming shy.

After a few minutes of silence Gobber came back in with a heap of Weapons and placed them on a table before looking over at us. "When you have sharpened these you are done for the day." He said before walking out again.

I walked over to the weapons and grabbed a few before going to sharpen them. When I was done with the first one Hiccup did one and then it went back to me. Hiccup took a bit longer on his first one because of being new to it but soon we were both working at a steady pace.