Blacksmithing

Iris's Pov

I woke up the next morning to something thumping on the roof.

I got up quickly before getting ready for the day and walked outside to see what was causing the noise.

I found Zip and Zap on the roof along with Toothless. "What are you guys up to? Do you need some attention?" I asked smiling up at them.

Toothless gurgled while Zip and Zap nodded their heads. "Well, first I'll get you guys some fish. Then we'll go to the forge. I have some things I want to make. It'll depend on where Hiccup is if you want to come Toothless."

Toothless nodded his head before I grabbed some fish for him and Zip and Zap.

They finished their baskets of fish while I checked to see where Hiccup was. It seemed he was still sleeping so I got back to the dragons to find them finished with their fish.

"Hiccup is still asleep so you can come with us Toothless." I said as I put my satchel's strap over my neck.

I put the books Gothi gave me including the one she gave me last night.

I also grabbed a few of my blueprints I've been working on. I had this really cool idea for a staff that can change into two sword or one double bladed staff. I also had a few other ideas that needed a few adjustments.

Soon enough we reached the forge to find no one around. 'I guess everyone is still sleeping although I can't blame them, the sun isn't even up yet.' I thought as I lit a candle.

I walked towards my private room that I did all my inventing. I entered and sat down to go through my ideas and figure out what to do first.

I had a few things that would have to cool slowly so I set to work on those first. "Hey Toothless can you bring the bag of metal scraps that are in my room?" I asked. He nodded and went into the room.

He came out a few seconds later with the bag in his mouth. He set it down next to me before sitting next to Zip and Zap.

I set to work heating and shaping different things before I had finally finished them.

I then looked through the bag and found some old swords that I had grabbed because no one wanted to use them.

I sharpened two of them up and polished them so that I could see myself perfectly in them.

It had taken a while and when I was done I realized the dragons were getting bored.

"Can you guys go find me a stick about this long and this thick?" I asked, spreading my arms out and shaping my hands to define what I was saying.

The three nodded and headed off together in the direction of the forest, chasing each other as they went.

I then set to work on making a new set of armour made with Bolt's scales that I had collected and leather.

It took a lot of work and I had only just finished the leggings when the dragons came back, each carrying a part of the stick in their mouth.

I giggled as they set it down in front of me. I checked the measurements and found they would work pretty well. "Thanks guys! You can go play now." I told them and turned back to work.

They scurried out the door and almost knocked me over in the process. I laughed and started carving out notches in at the ends of the stick.

Soon enough I had the perfect sized holes for the two swords after I took off their old handles.

Since the stick wasn't actually too long, the whole thing standing up was just a bit taller than me. I put it all together and made sure the swords wouldn't come out before cutting the whole thing in half.

I then set on the task of shaping the wood into handles that would work for me.

By the time I finished that, the sun was already in the sky and vikings were walking about outside.

I decided to put away the swords and start making my staff. It would be hard because I had to make it hollow but I knew it would be possible.

I had read one of the books that Gothi had given to me and it actually told me how to make Gronkle Iron. The strongest metal known to the Vikings.

The only problem was I needed a gronkle to make it. I had already gathered the supplies so I just had to find a Gronkle.

'I wonder if Fishlegs will let me take Meatlug for a bit.' I thought after I had put everything away for the time being.

I set off to his house and was lucky enough to catch him just exiting it. "Hey Fishlegs, could I borrow Meatlug for a bit?" I asked. "Yeah sure, what for?"

"I was going to do some experimenting with the different rocks she eats." I answered, not telling everything. "Ok." He said.

Meatlug followed me to the forge and I grabbed all the ingredients for the iron. "Here you go Meatlug, eat up!" I told her before dragging a large cauldron from in the storage.

I set it up in front of Meatlug and told her to fire it all into it when she was done. She nodded and did as told.

Soon enough the cauldron was full and the magma was almost ready to use. I then dragged out a bag of Meatlug's favorite rock. "Here's your reward!" I told her. She grinned wildly and dug in.

I scooped out some of the slowly cooling metal and started shaping.

It took awhile before I finally made all the cylinders I needed.

Some were bigger than others so that they could fit over them. I looked outside and realized it was lunch time and that Zip and Zap were waiting patiently for me.

I quickly made the rest of the iron into small blocks to use later before putting everything away. "Come on, let's go get something to eat shall we?" I said as I exited the forge.

I grabbed some food for me from the Great hall before getting two baskets of fish from my house.

It was heavy but I managed to drag it all to Bolt's cave for lunch.

We ate out lunch before deciding to go for a fly. "What do you guys think of moving away from Berk?" I asked.

Six surprised eyes looked back at me before they turned to agreement. The three nodded their heads and gurgled in agreement.

"Then it's settled. We'll move as soon as I have everything ready."