Cave behind the Waterfall

Iris's Pov

We met up with Bolt only an hour later on an uninhabited island and decided to have a little look around the island before heading off somewhere.

We decided to stretch our legs and walk for a bit because we'd be flying a lot and came across a waterfall.

The spray coming off of it created a rainbow and the water was crystal clear. "Wow." I simply said, looking around.

I walked towards the waterfall and when I got close enough I noticed a little gap between the water and cliff. I decided to check it out and let the dragons play around a bit.

The gap was a foot and a half wide so I walked sideways so I wouldn't get wet. When I neared the middle, the gap became wider and wider until it was as big as a small room.

I then decided to stop and look around a bit. I was surprised to find that it was actually a cave that went into the cliff. I walked in further although staying close enough to the outside so that I could see.

I stopped when I saw something sparkly in the corner of my eye. Looking to my side, I saw a beautiful site.

The cave wall was covered in crystals in an assortment of colors. I took the dagger out of my satchel that I was carrying with me and tried prying a piece of the wall.

After a little bit of digging and prying, it came off the wall into my hand. The crystal itself was about 2 inches thick and 5 inches long. I decided to take it out to show the dragons of my find.

I carefully put it in my satchel with my dagger so that I wouldn't drop it before heading out.

Soon enough I was greeted by the full light of day. "Hey guys! Look what I found." I said, calling them over. I brought the crystal out to show them.

The dragons peared curiously at it before Zip and Zap took turns trying to bite it.

Luckily I was holding it at the end so they wouldn't bite me. They eventually stopped and nodded their heads.

I giggled. "Yes I agree, it is real." Bolt then came up and tried sparking it. I thought nothing would happen until the crystal seemed to take the charge and start sparking itself.

We all watched in wonder as it did so until it finally stopped. "Not even 2 hours since we left Berk and we're already discovering new things." I said. The three nodded.

"Shall we stay here for the night? There doesn't seem to be any danger and we are in no rush to go anywhere." I asked.

The dragons instantaneously nodded their heads. "Well it's settled. Shall we set up camp behind the waterfall? It think there is enough room in there." The dragons nodded their heads.

Since the bags that were on Zip and Zap were mostly waterproof, we decided that I would go back to the cave and signal where I was by sticking my staff through the water. I would then quickly get out of the way as they flew in.

Bolt didn't really like the idea because of the water so we decided that he'd sleep outside and stay on watch.

I took Zip and Zap's bags off before we decided to venture further into the cave.

It almost seemed like a tunnel because it was mostly straight. Zip and Zap lit up the place by lighting up their mouths.

We seemed to have been walking for a quarter of an hour until we seemed to come to a sudden stop. "How strange." I said, my voice echoing off the caves walls.

It was then that I noticed something reflecting Zip and Zap's fire although it was a bit dim.

I walked closer with the two right behind before I was right in front of it. "A door?" I asked.

Now I knew someone had been here before. I tried pulling on the handle but it came off into my hand. 'Oops.' I thought. "Zip and Zap, do your thing." I told them.

I stepped away before they gassed and blew up the door. I felt a slight breeze as I entered the room.

Zip and Zap were only able to stick their heads in so that is just what they did.

I looked around the dimly lit room to see a few chests, a desk with scrolls and a book on top, and maps on the walls. I walked over to the table and picked the book up.

I blew the thick blanket of dust off and coughed as some entered my lungs.

I couldn't quite read what it said so I decided to put the book in my satchel. I realized that we had left Bolt for awhile so I decided to come back later with better light.

"Let's go back, Bolt is probably wondering where we are." I said.

Zip and Zap nodded before we headed back to the waterfall.

As we neared the waterfall I heard the rush of the water falling. Zip and Zap flew through the water as I made my way through the gap.

It was then that I realized it was actually carved out and a well worn path.

I came out to see the dragons seemingly talking. I figured Zip and Zap were telling Bolt what we found.

I sat down by the water and brought the book out of my satchel. It was similar to the one Gothi had given me with its engraved leather cover although this time it was random designs with what looked like weapons hiding amongst them.

There was no title on the cover so I opened it up. The pages were thin and yellow tinted, hinting that it was old.
The words on the first page was the title.

It read 'Guide to blacksmithing and craftsmanship.'