Storm

Iris's Pov

It had been a week since I met Valka. She had invited me to stay in the sanctuary but I still wanted to see the world.

I did agree to come see her once in awhile though. I had a pretty good time while there. I used one of the unused books I had found in the cave behind the waterfall and made a new Book of dragons although this one had a lot more details and dragons.

She warned me to be extra careful around the dragon hunters and don't travel too far north because that was where Drago was holding base.

I was currently standing on the deck of my boat as we sailed/flew towards the North-east horizon.

The sky was dark and I could see the stars above in the sky. The moon was a tiny crescent and it's dim light reflected on the calm ocean waters.

I had learned to stay up most of the time but sleeping when I needed to and let the dragons take over.

There wasn't as many islands North of Valka's sanctuary. There were giant icebergs instead that were beautifully blue.

As it grew later into the night I noticed icebergs up ahead. I watched them closely until I noticed something reflecting in the water.

I looked down and saw beautiful waving colors. I then realized that I was looking at a reflection. I looked up and gasped at what I saw.

The Northern lights were even brighter and more colorful than the ones I had seen down in Berk. I saw it all waving in wave motions through the sky.

If only I could capture it somehow so that I could look at it whenever I wanted. I watched it all and tried seeing and remembering every detail.

I would have to paint it with the paints I had bought from a trader. I then remembered the icebergs ahead and almost jumped when I saw how close they were.

"Hey guys, I think I'm going to need your help guiding the boat to safety." I said, waking the dragons that had been sleeping.

They nodded and flew up. I threw them ropes that were tied securely to the boat. They caught them and pulled the boat to safety. When we got past the icebergs, I saw and island ahead. "I see land." I called.

They nodded and came back down, too tired to fly for too long in the chilly air.

We arrived at the island and the dragons checked to see if the island was safe. They came back and I guessed they thought the island was safe.

I tied the boat securely to a tree that was close to the shore. I placed a blanket down on the deck and layers down with one on top of me.

I fell asleep watching the northern lights above me.

Time Skip

I awoke to the sound of waves crashing on shore. The wind had picked up sometime during the night and the boat rocked on the waves.

The dragons caught fish for themselves as I ate some food I had stored down below.

All was quiet as we ate our breakfast. I noticed something shiny on the sand beach and went to see what it was. It was a ring. It must have been swept onto shore because it didn't look like anyone had ever been to the island.

The ring was shaped like two dragons twisting around together making the ring. The ring was silver with a weathered look to it.

The dragons followed me as I continued walking on shore. I put the ring in my satchel and looked around myself.

I was surprised that there was no snow on the island, even this far up north. The silence of the island was suddenly interrupted when I heard a dragon screech in pain in the forest.

I quickly followed the sound and eventually came to a clearing in the trees.

A dragon was lying at the edge of a cliff with a huge boulder on his wing. The dragons whines and growled when it saw me.

I crouched and put my hands out slowly. "It okay, I'm not going to hurt you." I said. The dragon noticed Bolt behind me and calmed down a bit. I turned to Bolt. "Bolt, I think this dragon knows you." I said.

Bolt came up and looked at the dragon before turning playful. He started pouncing playfully around and growling happily at the dragon.

The dragon trying to get up but the boulder was too heavy. Bolt realized the problem and tryed to lift it while flying but it was too heavy.

I then had an idea. "Zip and Zap, can you go grab the ropes from the boat?" I asked. The two nodded and flew off.

I looked around myself and saw a tree that had fallen over. It wasn't too thick that it would be heavy but it was not to thin that it would break.

Zip and Zap returned with the rope in their mouths. I grabbed it and neared the boulder. The dragon growled at me a bit but Bolt assured him I wouldn't harm him.

I wrapped the ropes around the boulder in a way so that it wouldn't slip out. I then tied a one end of a shorter rope to the boulder and the other to one end of the tree that I had dragged over.

I did the same thing with another short rope and made sure it was secure. I instructed the Bolt to take one end and Zip and Zap take the other end of the tree. I told them to lift it up without flying.

They did so and because the rope was short, they lifted it up about a foot. The dragon carefully pulled its wing out from under and the two dropped the boulder. Bolt came to the dragons side as I examined the damage.

Two bones were broken and a few tears went through the wing. I frowned before telling Zip and Zap what I needed. I remembered the book that Gothi had given me about plants and dragons.

I examined the dragon for the first time and recognized it as a black changewing. I was surprised it hadn't tried turning invisible at all or spit acid.

I wondered if it had different abilities but I left that all to later as Zip and Zap came back with the supplies I needed.

Gothi's book told me a lot about different plants that had healing properties and all that stuff. I had collected many of the plants just for incidents like this.

I flinched as the dragon screeching in pain as I stitched up his wing. I knew it hurt but it has to be done otherwise it wouldn't heal properly.

I then applied an ointment that I had made with dragon cave berries. The dragon instantly calmed down and I started making a splint for the wing. I used some sticks and rope. "We are going to have to watch that for awhile.

Do you want to come with us on our journey?" I asked. The dragon looked at Bolt who was enthusiastic. He then turned back to me and nodded.

I smiled and Bolt helped the Changewing up. "What should I call you?" I asked him as we walked back to the boat with all our stuff. The changewing changed his scale color until he was a mix of blacks, whites, and greys. It reminded me of Stormy clouds.

"How about Storm?" I asked. The dragon nodded and we soon reached the boat. We cleared a spot for him where he could lie comfortably with his wing.

I untied the ropes tied to the tree and ran to the boat that almost floated away without me.

I jumped in and we were on our way yet again, with another companion.