1996

i heard a knock on the door and immediately knew that colby was here. i heard my grandma open the door and say hello to him.

it's the summer of 1996. i'm staying in a small town in georgia with my grandma for the next three months. my parents are off traveling for business all of the time so i decided to stay here instead. my grandma has lived here her entire life.

she lives in a little white farm house. it consists of three bedrooms and two bathrooms. she has some land in the back of the house but it only holds our 3 horses. my grandma doesn't get around to riding and taking care of them like she used to so she asked colby to help her.

that's where we met. i was unaware that he helped take care of my grandmas house and the horses, so i nearly had a heart attack the day i saw a random guy riding my horse out my window.

i went out to see what exactly he was doing and he introduced himself as colby brock. and it's been two weeks since then.

we went on a date to the drive-in a week ago and tonight he is taking me to the local fair.

"hi." i smiled when i reached the bottom of the stairs.

"hi." he smiled back.

"bye grandma. i love you." i hugged her before i left.

"bye sweetheart. i love you too. colby, make sure she's home by 11:30." my grandma warned him with a small smile.

"of course, claire." he smiled to her.

"alright... you two have fun then." she smiled, waving to us as we walked out of the house.

colby grabbed my hand as we walked down the stairs and out to the car. he opened the door of his slightly beat up red truck for me.

"thank you." i told him as i got up into the truck. "so how was being grounded?" i asked colby with a giggle.

"you know what, it was so fun." he laughed back, sarcasm laced in his voice.

"i still feel really bad that we got you into trouble." i admitted to him with a small frown.

under the influence of alcohol, colby and i, along with some friends, had all gone out and to colbys field and drove his truck in circles... which left them with a messed up field and a very dirty truck.

"don't be. it was my idea anyways. sam helped me fix muffler that we damaged.." he laughed.

"if it makes you feel any better, my grandma was pissed at myra and i for getting you into trouble." i told him with laugh.

myra was the first person i met when i got to georgia. myra is my grandmas friends grand daughter. we're both 17. we bonded over our love for new york, even though she'd never been there. i told her she'd have to come visit me when i went back after summer.

the next day is when i met colby. i guess myra was friends with him. the two of them introduced me to sam, corey, jake and mike. they also introduced me to tara, devyn and kat.

-

"so, adelaide, how have you been liking georgia so far? you've been here for two weeks right?" sam asked me. colby and i ended up meeting up with the group after about two hours of hanging out at the fair.

"well, it's definitely more chill than new york. but i like it. there are no drag races in the streets of new york city." i laughed.

we all continued talking before we went our separate ways.

colby and i ended up buying cotton candy and going to the ferris wheel.

"eat some cotton candy!" i encouraged him.

"you can have all of it. i'm not that big of a fan of cotton candy anyways." he laughed, making me gasp.

"you're lying!" i accused.

"okay i am lying. but i really don't need any." he told me, putting his arm around my shoulder.

"here." i laughed, holding a little bit of cotton candy up to his mouth. he ate that bite and then we shared the rest of it.

-

the fair closed at 10 so colby drove us to the local diner where we were meeting up with our group of friends.

"hey guys." i smiled as we sat down at the table with all of our friends.

i got a chorus of 'hey's from around the table as myra made room in the booth for us.

we sat down and the waitress came over to take our orders. colby ordered us a strawberry milkshake to share and i just got a little plate of fries.

"adelaide, are you going to the drag race tomorrow?" mike asked me.

i looked over to colby, confused. he hadn't mentioned anything about a drag race to me.

"oh yeah. i meant to ask you if you wanted to come. you can be my passenger if you'd like." he said, shooting me a smile.

"okay... i'll be there." i told him.

-

"so you guys do this for fun?" i asked myra with a laugh.

"this is kinda just where everyone hangs out. this is practically colbys territory. he's only ever lost one race." she said.

"the one with mathew?" i asked her.

"yeah. he beat him once and then mathew beat him the next race." she told me.

"so who exactly is he racing today?" i asked her.

"he's racing corey today. it's obviously just a friendly race. i don't think he would have asked you to sit in the car with him if it were to get intense." she told me.

i nodded to her and was going to reply but tara came over to us, handing us each a red solo cup.

i hang out with the girls for the time being since colby and corey we're getting ready to go against each other.