best friends brother

"hey, can we stay at your place tonight? my house is being cleaned." i asked my best friend, layla.

"for sure. but colby is coming home from california so he'll be there. and gage will probably be home." she told me, taking a sip of her drink.

"colbys home?" i asked her.

"he will be. he's staying for a month. i thought my mom told you." she said.

"neither of you did... i haven't seen him in years." i said.

"yeah, me either." she responded with a small laugh... even though i know she hated that her brother lived so far away.

"only a few more weeks till we move out there." i told her with a smile.

"actually, it's exactly one month." she told me with a grin, taking a handful of popcorn. we're moving to LA in a month.

colby is 24 whereas layla and i are 17. i haven't seen him in 4 years... so i was 13 when i last saw him.

-
colby;

"layla!" i said, hugging my little sister. i hadn't seen her in a while. she hugged me back and i noticed someone else in the room.

"adelaide?" i asked, my jaw practically hanging open. she's changed so much since i've last seen her. she looked so pretty, standing there with her wavy hair flowing down around her face. she was wearing a little lilac crop top and a pair of black cargo pants, reminding me of the way tara typically dresses. her blue eyes were sparkling as golden hour hit her face from the window behind me.

"hey colby." she smiled, hugging me.

"i barely recognized you." i said, letting out a breathy laugh.

"it's been a while." she giggled. god that was cute. "how long are you staying for?" she asked me as she readjusted her necklace.

"until you guys move to la. i'm going to drive the uhaul to LA for you guys." i laughed, making her giggle again. i would do anything to hear her do that. lay sat next to me on the couch and adelaide sat of the other side of her.

we ended up putting on a movie and before i knew it, both of them were asleep.
-

it's been a week since i came back to kansas... it's been nice to catch up with some of my old friends and to see my family.

"oh hey colby." adelaide smiled as she walked into the kitchen.

"hey." i smiled back.

"is lay here? i just woke up." she laughed, rubbing her tired eyes.

"uhhh i think she just left a bit ago... said something about a movie and someone named hunter." i told her.

"oh my gosh! i don't know how i forgot about that." she told me, sitting at the island. "she'll be gone all day."

"you can hang out with me if you want. i was going to go to the mall for a bit and then to a party." i told her.

"that sounds like fun." she smiled. "as long as i'm not imposing." she told me.

"honestly, i'd like the company." i admitted.

"okay! i'll go get ready then." she told me, hopping down from the stool.

she was wearing an oversized t-shirt and had her hair in a messy bun. she looked adorable for having just woke up...

-

"ready?" she asked me when she walked into the kitchen half an hour later.

"yeah." i told her, grabbing my keys and wallet. she was now wearing a pair of jean shorts and a little pink crop top as well as a pair of white air forces.