he teaches your kids to play hockey

"look, ayla. daddy and kai are going out onto the ice." i told my four year old daughter.

"mommy i want to go play on the ice." she said, looking up at me with a little smile.

her little beanie kept falling over her tiny blue eyes. she looked adorable.

"daddy will teach you when you're older. kai is six now so you've only got two more years." i told ayla.

" i told ayla

"why is kai-kai wearing that silly helmet?" ayla asked me

"we don't want kai-kai to hit his head on the ice... that would hurt him." i explained to her.

colby and kai were just skating around the empty ice skating rink, letting him get the hang of it while holding a stick.

we've been taking kai skating since before he could walk so he's pretty good at it.

"look buddy, just hit the puck back to me." colby said as he and kai stood parallel to each other on the ice. kai gently hit the puck back to colby.

"ah! great job bud! there you go." colby said as he shot the puck back to our little boy.

i stood off to the side, observing the adorable little interaction, holding a sleeping ayla.
after they hit the puck back and forth a few times, i decided to go get them hot chocolate.

"hi. can i help you?" the girl asked.

"hi. can i get 3 hot chocolates?" i asked her with a smile.

"of course... that'll be $6.75." she told me.

i nodded, handing her a $10 bill.

"she's so cute... is she yours?" the girl asked me with a smile.

"thank you! she is mine." i laughed.

"how old is she?" she asked me.

"four... my husband is teaching our son to play hockey right now... so i've got my girl." i smiled

"what're their names?" she asked me.

"this is ayla and my sons name is kai." i told her.

"i love their names! tell kai i said good luck." she told me as she handed me the carrier full of hot chocolate.

"do you boys have time for a little hot chocolate break?" i asked the boys as i approached the ice. i saw kais face light up.

"mommy i want hot chocolate!" kai said, skating to the opening.

colby and i laughed at him as colby started skating after him.

"here you go, honey." i smiled, handing kai a little cup of hot chocolate as he sat down.

"thanks mommy. did you see me and daddy playing hockey on the ice?" kai asked me.

"i did! you were doing very good... maybe even better than daddy." i told him, looking up at colby who pretended to be hurt, which made kai laugh.

what they were doing was hardly hockey but it was adorable to see colby and kai interact like this. kai was so into it.

"do you really think i did better than daddy?" he asked me.

"i do think so!" i assured him as he burrowed into my side.

"did sissy get hot chocolate?" he asked me.

"not yet. i'll get her one when she wakes up." i told him.

"i can share mine." he told me with a toothy grin.

"that's very sweet of you, bud." colby told him.

they eventually made their way back onto the ice. they didn't really get past hitting the puck back and forth today. and we were all fine with that. it was so adorable that kai got so into it, seeing as it's his first time.

we were walking out of the rink, colby holding ayla, who was still sleeping, and kais hockey bag. i was carrying kai since he was "so tired from playing hockey."

i bucked kai up and colby did the same with ayls on the other side.

"okay kai-kai, where would you like to go for dinner?" i asked him.

"i want ice scream!" he said, loudly. ice cream is a word we haven't tried correcting him on since it's so cute to hear him say it.

"sissy is sleeping, kai. we have to be quiet." i informed him.

"shhhh." he whispered.

"yes kai, shhh." i replied with a slight laugh.

"we can go get ice cream bud. but you have to eat dinner first." colby told him.

"fiiine." he groaned.

"kai, did you have fun today?" i asked him.

"didn't you see me mommy? i did so good!" he told me.

"i know you did! would you like to do it again?" i asked him.

"as long as daddy does it too." he told me, making me smile.