Chapter 22

A sigh leaves Zevander's lips as we pull up to the parking lot of the school. We managed to arrive at Lenaya's school with just five minutes to spare.

"Listen, Brax. I know I've been a real ass the past month or so, but I need you to know how grateful I am for you. You've brought so much joy into Lenaya's life," Zevander expresses. "I always thought I was enough until you came into our life. Meeting you has helped me realized that maybe I'm not enough, maybe what she also needs is you."

I quickly wipe the salty tear that's rolled down my cheek. "If only you knew how much Lenaya has saved me," I whisper. "I didn't know what I was missing until you both walked through the door."

"You know, I was going to stop at a cafe closer to my house, but Lenaya begged me to stop there. Apparently she liked how the big neon lights flashed so I figured I'd allow her the extra hour or so, even if it was way past her bedtime."

"Why do you continue to come in so late if it's way past her bedtime? Why not come earlier so you can still make it home before her bedtime?

"If we showed up any earlier we wouldn't enjoy your company now would we? I notice the diner has a steady flow of customers. I'm a greedy man, love. I enjoy my alone time with you, just as much as Lenaya does, and besides it's a weekend so she's allowed to stay up a little longer then usual."

"I still feel like I'm keeping her from her sleep. And you..." I mumble. "You shouldn't have to drive home so late because of me."

"When are you going to realize, that I would do anything for you." Zevander answers, playing with my knuckles.

Before I can respond the sound of the school bell rings followed by hundreds of screaming children. Turning around in my seat I search the crowd for Lenaya, but don't see her.

Zevander must have noticed what I was doing because he leans over the middle console and points in the direction Lenaya will come from. Smiling I follow his finger and watch as Lenaya exits the school. She's talking to a little blonde headed girl her age, but the smile she has on doesn't reach her eyes.

"Her eyes look so sad." I whisper.

"She's been sad lately," Zevander admits truthfully. "But I think that's all about to change when she sees you."

I hope he's right. I hope I'm able to bring some joy to her life. To both their lives. Zevander's always making sure Lenaya's okay, which I'm glad for, but who's making sure Zevander's okay? He needs proper care as well.

Lenaya's eyes light up a little more with each step she gets closer to the vehicle. She lets go of whom I'm assuming is one of her teachers hand and tries to open the door by herself. A beautiful, young woman who looks no older then twenty-three with shoulder length black hair and chocolate colored eyes tries to help Lenaya in, but she quickly declines saying she's a big girl now.

"Hi, Daddy," Lenaya says, trying to climb into the backseat. "Are we going to the park to play?"

"We are," he smiles. "Do you need help getting in?" She doesn't answer, instead she huffs in frustration and with fierce determination she pushes her hair out of her eyes before throwing her backpack into the car.

After about a minute or two she sighs, responding. "Yes, please. My legs are to little." She pouts, crossing both hands over her chest. Zevander and I both laugh which causes her to look in my direction.

"Raxlyn!" She joyously shouts and frantically tries to climb into the car. "Are you going to the park with daddy and I, Raxlyn?"

Zevander hurries around to her before she can hurt herself. "Woah, princess. You have to calm down or you'll get hurt. Come here and I'll take you to Braxlyn."