beautiful boy

morning breath doesn't exist

MAE

   Bathing in the soothing warmth of the morning sun, the dirty cotton sheets tangled around us in an attempt to never let go. My skin was sterile of goosebumps from the heat of the rays beaming through the concrete window, looking out to the nightmare of the world outside. My eyes were heavy from the sleep I lacked, slightly glossed and blurred. The air around us hummed quiet and pure as the morning birds chirped outside.

   Newt had one arm around my waist, his body curled around me from behind, being the big spoon in this situation. With his lips pressed to my cheek and kissing it so softly, I felt on cloud nine for the first time in forever. The scent of his body devoured me into a state of tranquility, one between the natural musk of his skin and clean laundry. It's one of those smells you can't explain, but it reminds you of him and nobody else.

   It was a beautiful morning, filled with the memory of what went on in the late hours of the night between us. He was awake, and so was I, but we didn't speak. The need to just be in the moment was greater than any words we could think to say.

   We woke up about five minutes ago, entangled within each other just like usual. I remembered waking up with his arms firmly holding me, a hand around my back with my leg snug between his. With bags under our eyes, I remembered him turning me around so that we both could feel each other in our entirety.

   His chest was still bare, the sun hitting his back perfectly. The moment I felt my eyes flutter open, I felt the need to be close to him. Maybe it was the fact that he was slowly slipping into madness, or that last night was the most we've been vulnerable with one another. Who knows.

   But here we were, spending the early hours of the morning with each other while the world crashed down around us. Welcome to our life.

   I impulsively turned myself around so that I was now facing him. His sleepy eyes met mine, and a warm smile crawled up his face. Without thinking, my hand traveled up the side of his face, gently gripping his soft cheek as my lips pressed onto his. The kiss was calm, slow. Exactly what a morning kiss should feel like. His fingers traced up my naked leg, touching the hem of my shirt, then slowly brushing back down to my knee. The action sent goosebumps up my body, and I pressed myself closer to him.

   He breathed heavily as my hand made its way from his cheek to his hair, weaving through the locks and pulling lightly, just how he liked. He deepened the kiss, sliding his tongue on my bottom lip slowly. I accepted, opening my lips just enough for him to slip in, and start exploring my mouth.

   We didn't speak at all, only able to focus on one thing due to the sleep that still loomed over both of us. My hand traveled up his chest, feeling the ridges where his abs stood out. His stomach contracted at my touch, and he breathed heavily through his nose, continuing to kiss me deeply. Fingers exploring over his naked torso, I slowly brushed the hem of his pants, making him pull back suddenly.

   I paused, keeping my hand there as we took a moment to stare at each other. The thought that I did something wrong passed through my mind quickly, but disappeared quicker when he kissed me again. It was quick, and he pressed his forehead to mine right after, breathing heavily.

   "Are...Are you sure?" He whispered, turning serious for a moment in his sleepiness. It took a moment for me to register what he was talking about, but when I did, I found myself nodding.

   We've been close to this a few times, always interrupted by someone who needed saving, or a plan we had to go over. But now, with him, I realized that there was nothing I wanted more. We knew every part of each other like the backs of our own hands, better than anyone else. We didn't need this, at this point, it seemed like our relationship wouldn't falter even through the most powerful curveballs that were thrown at us. Like the Flare that slowly ate at his brain. I trusted him, and I knew that he trusted me too.