Chapter 2 - Hellos & Goodbyes

Lucas's POV

"Man, humans sure talk a lot." My wolf Mesan mused as we walked out of our last class just before lunch.

"You do realize that that was the teacher, right??"

"Oh I know. She was just extra talky for my liking. And the fact that she speaks in monotone doesn't help at all. The first ten words she spoke and I was out of there." I couldn't help but chuckle at his words while I aimlessly walked through the halls. Looking for the cafeteria.

"Use your nose, genius. How about you try following the scent of food, huh??"

"Smartass." I playfully said which made him let out a snort.

I soon found myself walking into the cafeteria, and the very strong scents of humans hit me.

'Damn, do they bathe themselves in perfume or something??' I thought while scanning through the room, looking for familiar looking faces.

"Luke!! Right here!!" Turning my head, I saw my cousin Bella calling me over to a table.

Everyone was there when I walked up but then I saw someone new sitting beside my brother. Looking a bit nervous.

"So, how was taking on the challenge of being a new student on your own??" Ellie mused.

"Uhh, I guess it went okay. Though I think Mesan didn't like our last teacher very well. He said that she's a bit too talky." At that, everyone looked a bit alarmed which confused me.

They all went to discreetly look at the newcomer at our group. And on catching his scent, I wanted to kick myself for being so dumb.

"You mean being downright stupid." My wolf cut in.

Though looking at the scrawny human, I don't think he noticed anything wrong with what I said which I was thankful for.

"You could've given me a warning there bro." I said through the link Xavier and I had.

"Sorry, I thought you'd know by his scent." He replied as I took my seat beside Aaron.

"All I smell in this room is perfume, sweat and a couple of other things I don't want to say." I said before looking at the nervous human at the table.

"Hey, I don't think we've met. My name's Lucas. Xavier's brother." I greeted, holding out my hand to him.

"Francis. It's really nice to meet you."

"Hey nerd!!" Francis flinched at the sudden voice.

A group of buff looking guys along with some girls walked to wards our table. Going directly to Francis as he seemed to have shrunk smaller at his seat.

"Hey buddy. You know, I missed hanging out with ya. Not being able to laugh at your sorry ass was pretty boring." The guy mused, making his friends laugh behind him.

"So, how about we make up for lost time huh??" He said before I saw him tightening his grip around the back of Francis's neck. Making the latter stiffen as pain could be seen at the expression on his face.

But before the guys could continue, Xavier quickly grabbed hold of his wrist. Catching the guy's attention as well as the guy's friends.

"That's enough. Let him go." My brother said in a very serious tone.

"Who the hell are you??" The guy asked before letting out a scoff. "Just mind your own fucking business before you get hurt, new kid."

At that, I could feel my brother's aura changing. His alpha side was taking hold. And I don't think that his wolf appreciated being disrespected.