Chapter 31 - Beyond the hood

Cole's POV

When we got to the place where we were called to, Officer Barry Lopez was the very first to find his way around the number of other officers and civilians on the scene.

And as Brody and I slowly followed along with Officer Wilson, we started hearing the low and grieving sob of a man as he broke down beside the lifeless body of his nephew.

Some of the other officers went to look at me uneasily but I just gave them a subtle nod before I gestured for them to give the grieving officer his time.

Wilson was silently standing beside me, watching her partner crying on his knees as you could also see the pain in her eyes as she did.

"Parents??" I asked her quietly. Talking about the dead boy we have with us.

"Got into a fatal road accident when he was only six." She answered. "And with Barry being the only family he had left, he was with him ever since. And even though Barry was just eighteen at the time, he took up the responsibility and loved Eddie like he was his own son."

I gave one more look at Barry who was almost on the verge of completely breaking down before turning back to the female officer.

"Make sure that he's okay." I said before heading for Brody who was already looking around.

"Found anything??" I asked him as I waited for his answer.

"Nothing really. Just like the others, all I can smell is death." He answered and in the end I just sighed out as a thought came to mind.

"This is becoming too dangerous. That thing is venturing into town. Who knows what would happen it'll cross paths with other people."

"Wait." Brody said in a slightly alarmed tone as he turned towards the direction of where a crowd of people were as they tried to look at what was happening. "I caught a scent of something."

"What??" He didn't answer me right away as it looked like he was busy looking for something at the crowd.

"Blood." He finally answered. "That dead boy's blood to be exact. And it's coming from someone in that crowd."

That immediately rang bells in my head that the one responsible for the deaths could be very well be here with us in the scene but I didn't make it too obvious.

"Are you getting anything else?? Maybe about the one where the smell's coming from??" I asked him quietly. Knowing very well that if this person was a supernatural, he or she could have heightened hearing.

"There are too many other scents mixing together here. I can't really make out anything else except the blood." He then answered.

If the killer was indeed here, there was a very good chance that he or she would make a run for it if they suspect that we're on to him or her being here.

Brody did have his speed being a vampire but he couldn't exactly use it when many humans could see him.

Yet we have a chance to possible catch the one who's responsible for the killings but one thing was for sure.

If the killer was a supernatural, we can't exactly bring it to the police station. It could very well cause an uproar in both worlds which might only end badly if I'm being honest.

"If we pass through them, you think you can find the one where the bloody smell's coming from??"

He didn't think twice on nodding his head surely so I just went to trust his word his word for it.

"Whoever it is, he's probably gonna run when he sees us." He went to say as we slowly made our way towards the crowd. Making it seem like we were headed back towards my car.