Chapter 24 - The Unknown Future

Kate's POV

Countless emotions circled themselves within me right now.

Fear.

Depression.

Anxiety.

Shock.

Numbness.

Helplessness.

But most of all, anger and guilt.

Anger at myself for not being here to have helped Francis when he was being taken. Anger at myself that when he might have been calling for help, nobody came to answer.

And just like that, at all of the times when he was being taunted, pushed, laughed at and wrongly hurt, where was I??

Just watching by as I let him fend for himself.

His eyes at those times held fear, but it also served as a silent call for help. A call for help in which he would always cry out a plea towards me.

But, I didn't do anything. I just watched.

Watched as he was slowly being degraded from the happy boy that he was into the sad and almost empty shell that he is now.

And at that, I heard what that girl Ellie had said as her words played in my mind.

"You know, you can never know what unfolds for you in the future. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. If you're lucky, you'll be given a chance to make up for the mistakes you made in the past. But sometimes, you aren't that lucky. And you have to suffer the consequences and results of what you did. Knowing that you could have done something, but didn't. And that's exactly what you did. So don't tell me that you didn't do anything wrong. You did nothing. And that's the mistake that you made."

My mistake.

My mistake.

It was my mistake.

I should have been there for him all those times.

My mistake.

The police have been asking me multiple questions but I was getting fed up.

Here they were in this house when they should've been out and looking for my brother right now.

Living in regret can be just as worse, if not more, than dying a painful death.

More of her words came to mind. And she was right.

This anger. So much anger towards myself for not realizing it sooner.

"You're the best sister that I could have hoped for."

His old words echoed through my mind.

'No. No I'm not.' I thought to myself as tears flowed down my cheeks. 'I'm the worst. I'm the worst!!!'

This huge and deep regret which I didn't realize was always within me finally surfaced.

"I'm always gonna be there for you Francis. You're my baby brother and I love you so much!!"

That memory when we were little kids played in my mind. He got scared of the scary story that we were reading, but I assured him that nothing will ever get him cause I was there.

My heart clenched at the memory.

'I'm sorry. I'm sorry Francis.' I cried. 'I'm sorry that I didn't keep my promise.'

My guilt grew even more and more as I remembered the years of loneliness he had gone through in school. The sad looks of his face whenever he looked at me while I was sitting at the popular table. Laughing along with them.