Chapter 49 - Relationships' End and Anew

Cole's POV

It's been a couple of days since the ordeal with the wendigo kid and that idiotic vampire. More or less three days to say the least.

Things have quieted down since Thursday night but I was still looking out for any weird reports that could tell us that the other wendigo that Jayden and the others informed me about is on the move.

I haven't gone back to the pack after my talk with Brody. And speaking of that very irritating idiot, he's been trying to talk to me by either calling my phone nonstop, or going as far as trying to see me at the station.

Honestly, I have no idea how I've managed to avoid him all this time but I don't really care cause I for one wants nothing to do with him right now.

"What's that juicy burger ever done to you?? You've been glaring at it for a good while now." A voice snapped me out of my deep thoughts as I was pulled back into the reality of where I am.

Sitting down at the local diner near the station. Having a little break after a morning of huge piles of paperwork about missing pets, a few people and other weird occurrences that have started around town.

Looking up from my seat, I soon found myself thinking that the man who had black hair and warm, brown eyes standing beside my table looked weirdly familiar.

"Do I have something on my face??" He suddenly asked which made me realize that I was staring and immediately looked away with a slightly embarrassed chuckle.

"Sorry about that. It's just that... You look a bit familiar. Have we met before??" I asked and then heard him give out an amused scoff.

"Well it's been a few days..." He said before sitting down on the vacant seat in front of me. "But yeah. I don't blame you that you forgot; we did only have a few seconds when we met. I was buying some smokes then. "

"Now I remember!!" I realized. Remembering the time I went to stop by that convenience store before going over to Bloodrose. "You're Mathew, right??"

Giving me a smile, he nodded his head before reaching over with his hand. "You remembered my name." He mused. "Yeah. And you're, Cole??"

"You remembered my name too." I said as I went to shake his hand.

"So, why exactly are you eating alone in this seemingly empty diner??" He asked while curiously looking at me.

"I uh... Had a very busy day at work this morning."

"Right. Detective work." He smiled. "Well something bad must've happened for you for giving your burger the stinker. What, you don't like pickles or something??"

"Funny. I actually like pickles." I said before the both of us chuckled.

"So if that's not it, then hat's wrong??" He curiously asked.

"I can't really just tell personal matters to a guy that I only met once." I pointed out as I still felt a bit weary of him. "Who knows, right?? For all it's worth, you could be dangerous."

"Dangerous??" He raised a brow before a lopsided grin made its way on his face. "I wish. Truth be told, I'm as menacing as a fluffy bunny."

"Well maybe rabbits can be dangerous if they want to be." For a few seconds, the two of us shared a glance at one another after I said that before bursting out in laughter.

"Oh I haven't had a good laugh in a while." He said as he leaned back into his seat before giving me a smile.

"Yeah. Me neither." I replied. Reaching for my drink before taking a sip.