CHAPTER TWO

Evelyn Banks

Evelyn Banks

"Nope, I didn't study so all of us except for Pope are screwed" I say, a sarcastic smile is clear on my face as I shut my textbooks, deciding that trying to cram in two weeks worth of information wasn't going to save me from failing this exam. It was inevitable at this point, I barely opened my textbooks because I was busy with work, my dad and well-- the Pogues. We spend majority of our time drinking, swimming, cruising around or getting in trouble by our parents. Studying in our group is a rarity.

"I mean I was planning on failing it in the first place so I'm sweet" JJ beams as he jumps up from his space on the bench. We all make our way to class, slumping into our assigned seats as we settle down. The sound of pen and pencils scraping against paper rapidly surrounds me, the silence louder than anything else in the room. Considering it's rather peaceful it still doesn't help me try to remember any information that might help me.

I feel Kiara tap my arm before a note is slid onto my desk. I look to my left at her and she mouths from Tristan a clear smile on her face. I look over at Evan who gives me a wave, a smirk clear on his face as he prompts me to open the note.

Come with me to a party this weekend?
- T <3

"He clearly likes you Evie, go with him" Kiara encourages me as she rereads the note after class, JJ rips it out of her hands before she can hand it back to me.

"The little love heart at the end adds a real nice lovey dovey touch to it" JJ mocks me, pretending to make smooching sounds at me-- I rip the paper out of his hands and shove his arm, nearly making him fall off the table.

"I don't know, I've barely talked to him"

"I have, considering he's a jock he's pretty nice, he volunteers as a helper at the retirement home" Pope intervenes. I hum, impressed by the factor but JJ seems to think otherwise.

"Yeah cool he's great with grannies and all but what about our friend? We gotta know every little detail about this guy before he takes you anywhere--" JJ says which leads to a debate between him and Pope.

"I'll think it over" I sigh out to Kiara as we block out their bantering and change the subject.

My phone rings incessantly as I'm pulling out of the school carpark, Pope tells me it's my dad before I nod in confirmation to answer it.

"Yeah dad?" I say.

"Hey baby can you stop at Barry's on the way home please. I uh-- need to pick up my order" My dad says into the phone, causing me to sigh heavily before I reply with yeah okay, see you soon before Pope hangs up for me.

"God, one day I'm going to find a good rehabilitation center for him so he can finally recover-- he can't keep doing this to himself" I say. I hated this vicious cycle that's been on loop for the last two years, my dad doing lines and being on any substance so he can avoid reality. He promises me he'll stop but he never does and forces me to feed into his addiction.