CHAPTER TWELVE

Evelyn Banks

Evelyn Banks

"Heard you got grilled by Rafe at a Kook party, ouch" A random guy from my History class laughs as he hits my locker passing by, I glare at him as I close my locker, pulling my books close to my chest. I sigh heavily as I watch him and his friends walk away, he wasn't the first person who's come up to me today to ridicule me about last night. Word spreads fast, as soon as I pulled up to school this morning I started getting strange looks from people.

I hated this, I knew Rafe's outburst at the party would have this effect on people, I was a walking circus to everyone. Eventually the hype would die down but for now I was being smothered by the attention, I hated it. It didn't take long for my friends to hear about it through other people whispering in the halls of course, I was too embarrassed to tell them myself when they picked me up this morning.

"That asshole. We need to find him right now. I say we take some rope-- the super thick kind and then uh-- Pope you choke him out and then I'll wrap him up with it--" JJ suggests, pacing back and forth in front of the table. I scoff, picking at my sandwich as I throw a lettuce leaf at him.

"Great plan genius" I say sarcastically.

"Thanks, I think so too"

"Look guys, I know we're all pissed but if we react and try to retaliate it'll just end badly. Kooks always win" I sigh heavily, cringing when I reflect on last night's events.

"You're right, it's better that we just ride this out and wait for it to die down" Kie agrees with me, taking a seat beside me. I nod before changing the subject, the thought of Rafe and everything that happened yesterday was making me lose my appetite.

I didn't understand why I'm still following through with this, it played on my mind all day and I wasn't going to bother with it at all after some thought but I was already here. After school finished I drove over to Tannyhill to hang out with Sarah and Wheeze for a bit. Sarah was understandably upset about Rafe's behavior at the party and promised me she'd rip him a new one when she sees him next.

I was on my way out about to leave when I decided to stop outside Ward's office, my fist ready to knock as I decided whether having this conversation was even worth it anymore. I inhale sharply before I knock, waiting for him to say come in before I push open the door.

"Hey Evie, what's up. Is it Wheeze again, I told her to give you and Sarah space" Ward laughs as he greets me, propped up behind his desk as I approach him. I chuckle at his comment, shaking my head as I stand in front of him.

"Uh-- no it's not Wheeze this time but I guarantee it'll be the next complaint I make"

"I'm actually here to talk about Rafe" I say reluctantly, unsure of what reaction I'm going to get. The smile falters on Ward's face as a concerned one replaces it, the sight making me chew the inside of my cheek nervously.