Chapter twenty-seven

Evelyn Banks

"Evelyn— why the fuck is Rafe outside" Kie seethes before she pushes past me and moves to go out the back door. I curse under my breath as I follow closely behind her, wincing when I hear Rafe grow louder outside and the sound of the car horn going off. The boys usually sleep like logs but I know even this would get them up in seconds.

I don't bother putting any shoes on, I just run outside and try to pull back Kiara who's already going up to the car with her speech ready. I manage to get in front of her and get to Rafe first— a relieved look on his face when he sees me.

"Baby— finally, I was tryna..."

"Rafe, stop it" I cut him off, trying to diffuse the situation before it gets more hectic. He grabs ahold of my hands and attempts to pull me toward him, a whine escaping his lips as he murmurs incoherent words.

"Why're you being like this— aren't you happy to see me?" He mumbles, tears forming in his eyes that are suspiciously red. I examine them closer, my eyes narrowing as doubt begins to grow. He wouldn't lie to me would he.

"What the hell is this asshole doing here?" JJ seethes as he joins us, a tired but agitated look on his face as he eyes out Rafe and Topper. Rafe's attention leaves me as he looks at JJ— a scowl growing on his face.

"I'm talking to my girlfriend. Stay the fuck out of it JJ" He spits, causing me to slightly push him back towards the car— scared he's going to break away and try to fight JJ. He was already upset and clearly intoxicated— it wouldn't take much for him to completely lose it.

"Girlfriend? Evelyn what is he talking about?" JJ exclaims, a confused look clear on his face when I turn to face him. I'm at a loss for words, unable to respond as I try to process everything.

"Rafe— I told you not to come here" I huff, my tone blunt— he doesn't take it well and I feel his hands tighten around mine as he gets more upset.

"Why— why don't you wanna see me"

It doesn't take long until Pope and John B come outside— obviously confused at all the commotion that's going on and why Rafe and Topper are in the driveway. It takes Pope mere seconds until he figures out what's going on and an angered look grows on his face before I can even say anything.

"I knew it. I fucking knew you were lying Evelyn" He shakes his head.

"You said you broke up with him weeks ago" Pope seethes.

"What the fuck— you told him we broke up?" Rafe says as he loosens his grip on my hands, his eyes growing darker as he looks down at me. I internally curse at myself for being so stupid before I try to explain.

"I only did it to make you both happy— I was going to tell you Pope— I swear to god" I plead, pulling away from Rafe to face my friends.

"You knew about this? About them?" Kie huff as she shoves Pope's arm, he doesn't bother looking at her— he just keeps his gaze focused on me. The hate in his eyes clear as day as he stares me down and I hate how different he looks right now.

"Barely. I told her to break up with him when I first caught her out— seems like she doesn't give a fuck about her best friend" He scoffs.