Chapter Thirty-Three

Evelyn Banks

I glance at the clock, sighing heavily as I haul the tray into my hands. I keep a mental note of the minutes left on my shift before pushing through the kitchen doors. My phone vibrates in my pocket and I push the tray onto the counter before pulling it out.

Throwing a party at mine. Already waiting outside for you x

I groan at Sarah's text, trying to remember whether I had actually declined or not when she asked last week. Regardless of my answer, she would drag me along anyway. So I mentally prepare for a long night as I wrap up my shift and clock out.

"Ideally, I like to spend my friday nights rotting in bed" I say as I open the passenger door of her car and find her already smiling at me.

"Such a grandma! You need a drink"

"We just drank"

"That was two weeks ago"

"Not to mention..."

"My loser of a brother won't be there don't worry. He hasn't been at Tannyhill" Sarah reassures me as we leave the carpark.

We spend the rest of the evening cleaning up her house and setting up the alcohol before getting ready ourselves. I borrow some of her clothes and take longer getting ready to delay having to face the guests who start arriving earlier than expected. Soon enough the whole house is full of people, the usual rich attendees who are always at these parties.

As I'm people watching from her window, I spot the familiar motorbike revving up the driveway, cutting through the cars that beep at him as he narrowly misses them. Shit. I feel my stomach tie in knots as Rafe steps off his bike, parking it sloppily before he moves inside.

I've managed to successfully avoid him for the last three weeks after our last run in despite him initially blowing up my phone and even stopping by my house a few times.

"Sarah, your 'loser of a brother' is here" I seethe when she finally returns to the room, evidently already tipsy as she stumbles in. The coy smile on her face drops as she moves to the window to peer out, cursing when she sees his motorbike.

"He promised he'd stay out tonight!" Sarah exclaims before apologising profusely to me as she pulls away. Despite my protests, she reassures me she'll try to convince him to leave and before I can say any more, she's out the door.

I follow after her, cursing at how incredibly fast she is when she's intoxicated. She pushes through the crowd of people and makes a beeline to Rafe who's standing in the kitchen. I stand back, trying to discreetly blend in while standing close enough to eavesdrop.

"What are you doing here?" Sarah interrupts his conversation with Kelce, who gives Sarah a look before greeting her. She ignores him, focused on her brother who's barely fazed by her attitude.

"Last time I checked I lived here too" He scoffs, his sarcasm setting her off. They go back and forth with their remarks before she finally gets to the point.

"Evelyn is here and I don't want you ruining it for her. So you need to leave" I watch as the hard look on his face softens at her words.