Chapter Forty

a/n: first and foremost I'd like to apologise for yet again taking forever to update, I have no excuse I'm just a serial procrastinator as you all know. But thank you for being patient with me :)

___

Two years later

The air feels warm against my skin, a hum of satisfaction escaping my lips as I stretch out. My dad's radio plays softly in the background, his off key singing causing a smile to pull on my lips. I want to get up, finally be productive and move from my spot but I can't find the motivation. The vibration from my phone another reminder that I need to really get up.

"Evie, c'mon. We've gotta go" My dad calls out, the sight of him struggling to fix his tie causing me to finally sit up.

"Sorry, I was stalling" I say honestly as I move and fix it for him, earning me a quiet thank you as he brushes his hair back.

"Sarah told me to remind you the dress is in your closet and to quote on quote make sure you actually wear it or she's going to come here herself and force you into it"

"Her and that dress" I mutter under my breath as I make my way inside to pull the dress out.

I slip it in on after my shower, using the full length mirror in my dad's room to examine it. It's a pretty slip dress, crème coloured that probably cost a fortune but I wouldn't know since Sarah bought it and refused to let me know the price. I'm startled by the sound of the floor creaking behind me, my dad now leaning against the door frame, a smile gracing his face.

"You look so beautiful" He hums, tears brimming his eyes as he steps forward. I immediately move to wrap my arms around him, pulling him into my embrace as he hastily wipes away his tears.

"I've worn dresses before dad, this is just another one" I play it off, knowing that even as I say it, I know it's untrue.

"Your mother would've been so proud of you. I wish she were here" My dad finishes as he softly places a kiss on my forehead and brushes some of my hair behind my ear.

"Time to go to Tannyhill"

The car ride there my stomach is tied in knots, my fingers constantly tapping against my lap as I silently try to calm my nerves. It's just another day. I repeat the words over and over, trying my hardest not hyperventilate as we eventually pull into their driveway. From the car I can already see the guests crowding the backyard, the sight only more unnerving as I step out of the car.

"You'll be fine sweetie" My dad senses my anxiety, resting his hand on my lower back as he guides me inside.

From there it's a flurry of greeting Rafe's extended family, various aunts and cousins from the other side of the country and some even from Europe. All flown in to celebrate him, us— which makes this even more daunting. Sarah eventually saves me when one of his intoxicated uncles starts deep diving into memories of Rafe as a kid and all their camping stories.

"Thank you" I mutter to her as she pulls me away to the kitchen, handing me a glass of champagne.

"I told you you'd look absolutely gorgeous in this dress" She gleams as she runs her hands down my sides, turning me to examine it fully.