Chapter Thirty-Nine

Evelyn Banks

"Rafe's back" Sarah practically sings in my ear as she shoves into me, her hands digging into my shoulders as she presses down on me.

"I know, he called the moment he got off the plane" I wave her off, prying her hands from my shoulders and swatting her as she walks off.

Rafe was at Tannyhill preparing for the gathering tonight celebrating his visit. It's been ten months since he's been home and five since I saw him last. To say I'm nervous to see him is an understatement, we talk twice a week and text practically every day but still, the thought of seeing him back home is making me stall.

"C'mon you gotta go, Sarah's waiting in the car" John B tuts as he slaps the bottom of my shoes. I huff, hauling myself off the sofa I was lying on and move to grab my stuff.

I spend the car ride reciting what I'm going to say to him and how I'm going to greet him. My stomach is in knots by the time we pull into Tannyhill, the sight of all the cars parked in the front only making me more anxious. The moment I follow Sarah inside we're bombarded by Wheezie who's dishing out jobs for us to do.

"Look we're barely late it's not our fault dad assigned you so many tasks" Sarah groans before grabbing the tray off of Wheezie and moving to the kitchen.

I keep myself busy by helping Sarah with whatever Ward and Rose ask her to do but soon enough they're ushering me away and tell me to sit with the other guests. The backyard is full of their extended family and their rich neighbours I vaguely recognise from Midsummers. Rafe's closest friends and even a few others are gathered around, Topper being the only one I'm familiar with.

Even with a few recognisable faces, I still feel out of place, shying into myself as I move back inside to recollect myself. I take a breather in the bathroom, checking my appearance in the mirror and fixing my hair as I try to kill some time.

I leave the bathroom just in time for the start of dinner, feeling more calm as I make my way outside. I sit with Sarah and Wheezie at the end of one table, thanking Sarah who hands me a glass of champagne.

"Sorry I'm late everybody" Rafe apologises as he emerges from the back door a few minutes later, his signature smile adorning his face as he greets his family members.

I watch him from afar, admiring how radiant he looks as he talks to everyone he hasn't seen in almost a year. He's changed since I last saw him, his hair has been shaved down to a buzz cut and he's gone buffer, his arms more prominent in the business shirt he's wearing. A smile graces my lips as I feel Sarah lean into me, teasing me about my blatant staring.

"You're right, I look like a creep" I snort as I finally pry my eyes away from him, letting him greet everyone without watching him like a hawk. I turn my attention to Wheezie who shows me a new game she's been playing on her phone.

"There you are" I hear Rafe before I see him and before I know it he's approaching the table.

He hauls me up from my seat and crushes me as he engulfs me into his hold, his face tucking into the crook of my neck as he presses a soft kiss on my skin. I feel my face warm at the sensation, a feeling that's both familiar yet foreign. Still, I allow him to hold me longer than necessary, soaking in his warmth.

"I was worried you weren't coming" Rafe says as he pulls away, his hand still resting on my side as he talks to me closely.