CHAPTER TEN

Evelyn Banks

Evelyn Banks

I wake up to an empty bed, the space where Rafe was last night is vacant when I pry my eyes open and sit up. I hum in confusion, feeling over the space, silently admiring how comfortable it felt last night sleeping next to him. His arm was tightly wrapped around my waist the whole night, the warmth from his body protecting me from the cold air.

I assume he woke up and left to try and figure out what to do now that Ward kicked him out of the house. He had no assets, just his phone and a wallet with a few notes in it but that's it.

I curse as I turn my phone on, realizing that I over slept and now I'm late for school. I have missed calls from Kiara and JJ probably questioning why I wasn't up already. They sent a message ten minutes ago that they were on their way to pick me up for school. When they call again, I answer hastily while rolling out of my bed to rush to the bathroom.

"Hello earth to Evelyn. Where have you been?" Kiara says in annoyance.

"Shit-- sorry I over slept, I'm just getting ready now" I apologize as I pull out some clothes to change into before rushing out of my room.

I'm met by a strange sight I never thought I'd see. Rafe and my dad are sitting at the kitchen table talking and laughing over breakfast, the sight in front of me almost makes me drop my phone.

"Okay we're pulling up in five" Kie says before she hangs up the phone.

When I pass the two of them, I give them a swift morning before I rush to take a shower. When I return to my room after being fully changed, Rafe leans on my door frame as he watches me hastily pack my bag. I swear under my breath as I try to locate where I put my History textbook.

"Ah, I remember being late to school. Lucky I don't have to worry about that shit anymore" Rafe chuckles, causing me to give him a look after I finish packing my bag.

"Good for you. Anyway what are you doing today?" I question him, finally taking a breather as I realise I have a few minutes to spare until they arrive. Rafe shrugs, moving to take a seat on the edge of my bed.

"I don't know maybe hang with your dad. It's not like I can go back to Figure eight right now" Rafe shrugs.

"Rafe, you can't just hang out with my dad all day, you need to work on what you're going to do with your dad" I state causing Rafe to narrow his eyes at me.

"Obviously Evelyn. I just want to clear my head for a few hours" He snaps, his tone sounding more like the Rafe I know. I roll my eyes, feeling my phone vibrate in my pocket which indicates they're here.

"Okay well, I'll see you later-- I guess" I shrug before I turn to leave the room, hauling my bag onto my shoulder as I meet my friends outside.

I couldn't focus in class, my mind zoning out as I try to read the words on the board but it all just looked jumbled to me. Rafe played on my mind, being a constant worry as I tried to write down my notes and actually make progress. I worried about him being at my house and my dad possibly indulging in his coke stash with him. But I know my dad, he wouldn't give it to a kid even though Rafe uses the substance himself.