CHAPTER FOUR

Evelyn Banks

Evelyn Banks

"Yay, caught me right on time" I say with false enthusiasm as JJ and Pope catch me walking out of the diner, having just finished a quick shift with Kiara. Judging by the sly smiles on their faces, I already know what they're dragging me into.

"Yes we did, now get in we have food to deliver" Pope says as he pats the side of the car with his hand, and I sigh before sliding into the back seat.

"I'm sure the two of you could handle delivering groceries to a bunch of Kooks, why do I have to come?" I argue as we arrive at the port where Pope's dad is already loading up the boat.

"Because you're a Pogue and you gotta help out" JJ sneers at me, causing me to poke my tongue out at him when he looks back at me in the rearview mirror.

"Besides they trust you more if you're a girl" JJ scoffs before he retells the story about that time an old man threatened to shoot him for stepping on his property. As a result JJ threw his groceries on his front yard before running-- safe to say, Pope's dad wasn't too pleased with that.

"I'm surprised your dad still trusts JJ to deliver" I say as we get out of the car. Soon enough we're on the sea, the wind blowing around us as we drive across to the other side of the island.

"Wait so how long did your dad say we had until we have to go back?" JJ questions Pope as we unload the grocery bags and divide them out evenly between the three of us.

"Like an hour?" Pope says as I hand him a pack of beers. I got the list of names off of him before we separate, promising to go straight back to the boat as soon as we were done.

I only had three bags on me, the boys compromising and carrying most of the heavy load. I walk up, subtly admiring the lavish houses planted on the waterfront. It must be nice having a home that overlooks the ocean, I'd rather wake up to this view every morning than the one I get. Bush, green tall trees and a dirt road.

"Hi Mrs. Donovan" I greet the old woman who opens the door for me a few moments after I rang the door bell.
She beams a wide smile at me, ushering me inside whilst she insists on getting me a drink. Not all Kooks were bad, nice women like her restored my faith in humanity. She didn't care that I was clearly from the cut, she still invited me in.

I leave her house and take a ten minute walk to the next, not going to lie my feet start to ache as I carry the last two bags on me. It doesn't help the hot sun beams down on me as I walk, my skin heating up as I start to sweat.

I huff a sigh of relief when I finally deliver the last two bags to an elderly man. He seemed disgruntled as he barely greeted me, instructing for me to just leave it at the doorstep. As I'm walking back down the track to the boat, I hear my phone ring in my pocket. Sarah's name flashes on the screen and I sigh before answering it.