CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

Evelyn Banks 

The weight of his arm around my waist causes me to sigh heavily, my eyes still shut as I slowly start to wake up. I feel Rafe's gentle breathing fan my skin as his face rests in the crook of my neck. The close contact between us causes me to shift in discomfort at how clammy my skin feels, but I leave him there for a bit longer-- savoring how beautiful he looked asleep.

He stirs awake when he feels me stroke his blonde hair, humming as he comes to-- his arm draped over my waist tightening as he pulls me back into him.

"Morning baby" He hums, pressing a kiss into the nape of my neck. The nickname still sounds foreign to me but it causes me to smile softly anyway, butterflies erupting in my stomach at how sweetly he says it.

"Morning" I mumble back, pulling his hand up to kiss the center of his palm before I sit up and reach over to grab my phone.

"Shit-- I'm gonna be late" I curse as I pull away from Rafe, pulling back the sheets as I stumble around to grab my clothes. We didn't do anything, apart from make out on his bed for hours, but I didn't have clothes to sleep in so he lent me one of his shirts.

"Just don't go" Rafe grumbles, shifting so that he's propped up on one of his elbows as he watches me scamper around hastily.

"Easy for you to say, you've already graduated" I huff as I pull my jeans back on, carefully slipping it over my legs so that my underwear isn't exposed. Rafe takes the hint, turning away to face another wall -- but still I narrow my eyes at him.

"No peeking" I warn him, earning me a scoff as he mumbles no promises. I pull off his shirt, pulling my bra on before I throw my sweater over it.

"Wait-- is Sarah, home?" I question him, stopping my frantic movement. He nods, rolling back over on his stomach to face me. My heart drops when I hear a knock on his door, the sound of Sarah groaning in frustration clear through the door.

"Rafe! Open the door-- I need to get something" Sarah complains before attempting to open the door, the handle rattling as she roughly pulls at it.

"Rafe, get your ass up, I'm gonna be late for school!"

My eyes widen in panic as I look around frantically to find somewhere to hide. Rafe nods his head towards the en suite bathroom, so I rush into it, shutting the door behind me gently as I try to stay as quiet as possible.

"Hold your fucking horses Sarah. Jesus-- what do you need to grab?" I hear Rafe curse as he opens his bedroom door.

"My watch, I left it in your bathroom" She huffs, my heart pounds as I hear her footsteps approach the bathroom, my mind racing as I try to think of a reasonable explanation.

There literally wasn't one, I'm hiding in her brother's bathroom after spending the night with him. She thinks we still hate each other, so I highly doubt she'd be pleased to find out I'm in love with her brother and that we've been dating for weeks now.

"Hey, it's not in there" Rafe tries to stop her, but she resists.

"No, it is-- I left it in there, I remember" She protests, her footsteps getting closer by the second. I hold my breath, already dreading the look on her face when she realizes I'm hiding in here.

"It's not, I took it out and left it in Wheezie's room, I thought it was hers" Rafe lies, his tone not breaking its confidence once.

"Are you sure? I swear I looked in there already--"

"No, trust me-- I left it in there. Wheeze is probably just being a brat and hiding it from you, she's been eyeing that watch for a while" Rafe says, his statement managing to convince Sarah as I hear her back away from the door.