Chapter Twenty-Eight

I'm back from the dead yet again. I know y'all are probably (definitely) side eyeing me for taking so damn long for an update. But unlike other authors I won't give y'all any list of excuses, I just lost motivation to write and I'm sorry I ditched this book. But thank you to anyone who's still interested in it and for still reading it. If you have trust issues with me, I don't blame you but I appreciate y'all & thank you again <3

_______

Evelyn Banks

My head hurt and throbbed so strongly it was painful rubbing my temples trying to ease the ache. I groan, hearing my phone buzz for the hundredth time. I didn't need to turn my phone on to know who it is, Rafe had been calling nonstop since he had left with Topper. After my phone vibrates once more I finally power my phone off, huffing as I toss it onto my bedside drawer.

The guilt eats me alive to the point where I can't even sleep, so I don't. I lay on my back, eyes following the patterns on the ceiling as I try to steady my heartbeats. I replay the disappointment on their faces, my best friends— all of them realising I decieved them. When I tire of torturing myself, I finally turn on my side and shut my eyes, not to sleep but to imagine my mother and her warmth.

When the sun rises, I finally power on my phone. I try to ignore the way my stomach ties in knots at the notifications from Rafe. His texts are desperate and more frantic than normal, a clear sign they had been sent during his haze of being high.

Please pick up.

I'm sorry.

Pick up Evie.

I chew on the inside of my cheek as I type and delete my text, contemplating what I'm going to say to him as I try to word it correctly.

Rafe we need to talk—

"No..." I hum, backspacing it. He didn't deserve anything longer than a sentence.

Meet me at Barry's.

I settle on that, pressing send and tossing my phone onto my bed to ease my anxiety. It's futile, he replies almost immediately, my phone vibrating indicating he's texted.

Be there in 10.

I check on my dad who's still sound asleep in his bed before I grab his keys for his truck and leave. The car ride there I recite what I'm going to say to him, exactly how I'm going to say it and reassure myself that no matter what, I'm breaking it off with him.

When I pull into Barry's, Rafe's motorbike is already lazily parked ahead and before I can even turn the car off, he's already stepping out of the house and approaching it. I mentally prepare to face him yet again, and I take a deep breath before getting out and meeting him halfway.

"Look, Evie. I'm sorry about last night. For showing up and making shit worse and getting mad at you. And— and for lying, I'm sorry—" Rafe spews out his apologies, pulling away from him as he tries to reach for me. Terrified that if he pulls me into his embrace, I'll give in to him like I have before.

"Rafe, I can't do this" The silence that follows weighs heavy between us, his brows pulling together as a hurt expression forms on his face.