Chapter Thirty-two

Evelyn Banks

"Evelyn" Rafe calls out, regret masking his face as he realises I'm standing by the stairs. His hand drops from the girl's and he's moving forward, trying to grasp ahold of me while he tries to plead his case.

Drunkenly and idiotically, I turn and race down the stairs, almost shoulder barging Sarah who was still behind me. He pleads, calling out as I try to fight back the tears that are already blurring my vision. Unfortunately, in my drunken state I barely make it halfway on the front yard before he's caught up to me.

"Evelyn, please. Listen to me— just hear me out" He begs as he follows closely on my trail.

"I don't care, Rafe" I hiss, frantically wiping at my eyes that are probably bloodshot, from both the alcohol and the warm tears that fail to stop.

"Evelyn, it wasn't what it looked like. I swear!" He grows more desperate as I continue walking in silence, hoping he would just leave me alone. He doesn't. Instead he increases his pace and when he attempts to grasp ahold of my hand, I yank it away from him.

"Evelyn, just stop!" He exclaims, his voice carrying and causing bystanders to look in our direction. I tut, turning around to face him and shoving my hands in his chest to push him back.

"Shouting at me now? That's how you talk to me after I've just caught you with someone else?" My anger catches him off guard and I watch as his eyes soften at my tone, at the hurt expression on my face as I gaze up at him.

"I'm sorry, baby. I know I shouldn't raise my voice" He apologises softly, his hands moving to clasp mine that rest on his chest. When I pull my hands away, he still continues.

"I know I shouldn't, I'm sorry. But I just need you to stop and listen to me. Please, can you do that for me?" Had this been a few weeks ago, I might've been reeled in by his sweet tone. I had almost forgotten how easily it was to give in to him when he was like this, when he was the Rafe that barely anyone else saw.

Not the Rafe that was a coke fiend or an untouchable rich douche bag who had tormented my friends and had a hold on the Figure Eight. He was the Rafe who had given me his signet ring and held my hand while we walked and would stay up late just to talk to me.

"There's no point. I saw enough" I argue, he shakes his head, brushing his fingers through his hair in frustration as I try to pull away from him again.

"No—no, stop. I didn't sleep with her" He states, his words causing me to halt my movement.

"I—I have slept with her. Only once but not tonight. I promise you, it was weeks ago" His words twist the knife and my immediate
response is a scoff in disbelief as I briefly turn away from him to process his confession.

"We broke up a month ago and you already moved on with someone?" I question him, finally able to face his direction. I see Barry and Sarah lingering behind him, hesitating as they watch us from afar.

"What if it were me?" Satisfaction fills me as I see his brows crease, a slight scowl on his lips as he grows disgusted by the thought.

"What if I decided to have sex with another guy days after we broke up? How would that feel?" The end of my sentence almost breaks but I still continue.