CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Evelyn Banks

Evelyn Banks

"I thought you couldn't take plus ones Kie" I sigh out as I watch her reluctantly try on the dresses her mom's forcing her to wear. She grimaces as she looks in the mirror, hands running down the material as she checks it out. Seeing Kiara in a dress was a lot stranger than I thought.

"I mean you can-- you'll just be the first plus one that's a Pogue" She shrugs, giving me a sly grin as she looks at me in the mirror.

I wasn't bothered with Midsummers, I usually only attended to help Pope and his dad but I'd leave before any of the guests arrived. Midsummers wasn't an event made for Pogues, it was just a social gathering for all of the rich in Figure 8 to celebrate their wealth. It wasn't something I wanted to partake in but for Kiara I would. She's been begging me to come with her all week and I've only given her a reluctant yes today.

"I have nothing to wear. I highly doubt they would let me in wearing jean shorts and a top"

"That is why you can borrow one of these. Seriously just pick whatever one you like" Kie says as she nods her head towards the lavish dresses laying on her bed. I sigh heavily, realizing that I probably had no other choice.

It wasn't like I had dresses lying around at home and the ones I did have were nowhere good enough to wear to Midsummers. I run my hands along the first one that catches my eye and hold it up for Kie to look at. She hums in approval before I move to her bathroom to shower.

"Baby pink looks so cute on you! Ugh girls c'mon we have to get a photo of you two" Anna exclaims, a wide grin on her face as she watches the two of us walk down the stairs after taking too long to get dressed.

We both wear tight lipped smiles as she positions us before snapping multiple photos of us. I felt uncomfortable wearing this dress and especially the flower crown that's been shoved on my head but I had to say, it felt nice being dressed up for once. Kiara pulls up the middle finger in the last picture, causing her mom to give her a dissapointed look.

"Very lady like Kie, now c'mon girls we're going to be late"

When we arrive at the country club Kie and I waste no time scouting around for some drinks. If we were going to make it through tonight we were going to need to be somewhat intoxicated. I knew for a fact I would need it, the Cameron's pretty much owned this event so I would no doubt see Rafe tonight.

I haven't seen him since the night of the bonfire, the same night I kissed him and confessed something I probably shouldn't have. We didn't talk once we returned outside and I haven't seen him in over a week. I down my glass before grabbing another, this time just taking sips.

"Ugh-- five more hours of this shit" Kie groans as she turns her phone on, checking the time before she tosses it back in her side bag.

We stand around waiting for the boys to show up, quietly judging the outrageous attire of the people around us. Their dresses and suits looked like they cost more than my house, they were stupidly lavish for a night at the Country Club.