Memories

- Jaguar

My parents called the school and let me and Firefly skip school for today. School was getting close to the end of the year.

It was May and we only had three weeks left. We both had already finished all of our finals so missing wasnt going to hurt our grades.

With everything going on our parents thought it was for the best. It had been two weeks since Jade went into a coma. Everything was bleak in my eyes.

I hadn't realized how much of my time was occupied by Jade. How much I thought about her and talked to her. When one of my relatives died I felt pain but I didn't last. With this it was like a whole other level of hurt.

It felt like my world went from colorful to black and white. Firefly seemed to have similar feelings. More for her though.

Im Jade's boyfriend but Jade and her are best friends. They are like sisters. It was Monday and I was excited to not be awake at 6:00 am this morning.

I have only visited Jade once since the day she was injured and it was with Firefly. Moon and Qibli practically live at the hospital now.

I checked my phone and realized that Qibli had texted me. It read," Jade is still in critical condition and the doctors are going to stop trying in about a week.

I stared at that text not saying anything. They are just going to give up on her? I was stunned at this news. I felt so guilty. I pulled out my phone and saw a picture of Jade. She was smiling and I was kissing her cheek. I stared at the picture. She was so happy, we were happy!

It felt like I finished the puzzle of my life and someone just came and took the last piece of it. All I wanted was to hold Jade and comfort her. I wanted to feel her warmth and know that she is safe.

"*"

I got a text from Cliff as soon as 3:00 pm came. " Where were you today?" he texted me. I didnt even bother answering.

My phone started ringing. I picked it up and answered the call. " Hello." I said " Hello are you Jaguar Night?" an unknown voice asked.

" Yes." I replied. " Jade Dawn is not doing well. I recommend you come down here. Today might be her last day." I couldnt speak.

I felt like not only my present but my future was falling apart. I hadn't fully realized what I was losing until I really was losing it.

" FIREFLY!" I screamed from my room. " What?" I heard her yell back. " Drive to the hospital now!" I yelled.

I instantly heard footsteps. I opened my door and headed towards the car. When we got there Moon and Qibli were in the lobby. Moon had her hands covering her face as she cried and Qibli was comforting her.

I glanced at Qibli and he shook his head. I prayed that she wasnt dead yet. Qibli nodded in the direction of Jade's room and I walked there.

I hesitated to open the door. What if I walk in and she is just laying there dead? I summoned up the courage and opened the door.

I saw Jade laying on the bed barely breathing. I sighed in relief that she wasnt dead. " She isnt dead but she will be in the next week." the doctor said.

" Is there any chance that she wont die?" I asked. " Yes but, its slim. It is about the same odds of an airplane crashing." he responded.

Firefly choked out a cry and hugged me to hide her tears. I looked away from Jade trying to not cry. " Im so sorry sir, we did all we could for her." the doctor said before walking out of the room.

I began to slightly cry. I just stood there listening to the heart monitor barely beep. Then it started to beep louder and more frequently.

I kept looking in between the monitor and Jade in confusion. She was dying because her heart wasnt beating fast enough. Why would it beat faster. I also had an F in Health class so that didnt help.