Vicky and Cole

~(Y/N)'s POV~

My heart felt like it sank. They were here?! Cole, that wasn't an issue. He was chill, I like him, he's nice. But my mother?! Ha! I could forget being alive with her rage. Nightmare's hand found its way to mine, giving it a gentle squeeze. "It will be alright, (Y/N). I am here. As is Dream." The doctor cleared his throat, gaining our attention. He silently tipped his head to the door, asking discreetly if it was alright to let them in. I sighed and nodded, my gaze lowering to the floor away from Nightmare. Had he met them? My mom and stepdad? I didn't think so...maybe? Shit, this wasn't a good day for my memory apparently.

The door opened, and thank fuck Cole stepped through first. Luckily, Nightmare had moved after I had nodded (not that I noticed) to stand beside his twin. "Hey kiddo- are you okay? Well not okay but like- alive? Well you're alive but-" He chuckled, clearly on edge and freaked out. My mom? Nah, she just had a pleasantly fake smile. I didn't need Nightmare or Dream's gift of reading emotions to figure that out. "Doctor...could you give me and my clutzy little one some privacy?" Upon my mother's request, he left and shut the door. All grace was dropped and a harsh glare appeared on her face.

"What the fuck were you doing?! How do you just- just get stabbed?! The fuck is your problem?! Are you trying to make us go bankrupt?! You fucking faggot! I oughta-" Cole's hand fell on her shoulder, frowning slightly. "Vicky babe, come on. Don't call them that. I know you're upset, but-" "Upset? Upset?! I'm fucking furious! Do you have any idea how much fucking money this little twerp just cost me?!" Cole sighed, his hand having been violently shrugged off. He gave me an apologetic smile as my mother continued chewing my ass out for getting stabbed.

Dream kept trying to talk, but she would just get louder to drown his voice out. It was clear her negativity was affecting him. At least, if the fact he looked like he might cry and throw up meant anything. I suddenly spoke, cutting the bitch off. "How long has it taken you to realize I don't come home anymore? Have you even noticed? That I'm just...not there? Or have you been 'busy' again?" Her eyes darted around, looking for some sign of a lie. She didn't notice. Holy fuck. "Hey Cole, when did you notice I left?"

He blinked in surprise, my mother's skeptical gaze falling on him. "When I came home from work and saw your note saying you were going to be crashing with a friend? I mean, we talked when you were packing a few things-?" He seemed confused, wondering if I remembered. I...guess it might've slipped my mind that we talked. No, no I remember. He was worried it was the fighting, but I told him I had a pretty rich friend who was letting me stay in his huge house. Of course I didn't mention he was my boyfriend or that the "huge house" was a literal fucking castle.

"And you didn't think to tell your mother?!" "You were 'busy'. I tried and you threw a shoe at me." She glared, about to begin her verbal assault before Nightmare let out a loud sigh, glaring. "Are you going to continue screaming at them, or are you going to let anyone else speak?" "Who-" "Nightmare. My name is Nightmare. I'm the 'friend' your child has been staying with." He moved closer, so elegantly across the floor. He towered over my mother, glaring down at her as his tendrils snapped and cracked angrily.

"Now that you've shut your incessant barking like a mutt, I can explain I will be paying for their medical bill. And from here on out, they will be my full responsibility. So unless you fancy dealing with the Internal Revenue Service, you can take them off your taxes as a dependent." She was speechless, staring up at him with her mouth agape. For the first time, at least that I could remember, she looked horrified. "You're wondering why, correct? I'm their significant other. Lover, boyfriend, partner- whatever you wish to title it with. And they've told me so much about you, Vicky."

"Like how you were too busy sleeping around to take care of them as a child. Or how you said their father was a deadbeat, only to do a quick Google search of his name and find out he died shortly before you were wed again. That you had been having an affair with his friend. That you, Vicky, are a deceiving old worn out cunt that no sensible person would want to stay within five feet of. A bitch so disgusting and greedy, she would force her child to mow lawns or tend to gardens and then take her earnings. A pig who is too lazy to move, and therefore, smells like onions and spoiled crab."

"You are easily the most repulsive thing in creation, and that is coming from me." The room was silent. The air was still. The tension was thick. Everyone seemed to be reeling from Nightmare's little speech- including Nightmare. The look of horror on my mother's face damn near matched his own, a hand covering his mouth. He turned to me, his eye shaking as if he'd just done something unforgivable. He seemed to want to apologize but...I couldn't bring myself to be upset. At all. I was fucking happy. He stood up to me to the one person I never would've expected.

I smiled- beamed, in fact. I'm sure he must've been confused, but his fear slowly faded back into his stone cold look. He turned back to glare at my mother, who looked down, her eyes wide. She just mumbled a soft apology. That was all. A soft "sorry" as if she had no other thoughts in her head. I don't even think she was angry. Nightmare smiled- almost genuinely. "That's surely a start. Now, I must apologize for my outburst. I've quite the temper. Let me start again."

He held his hand out to my mother and Cole, who both looked at him. "Nightmare Joku, a pleasure to meet you." Once again, the silence was palpable. Cole eventually smiled, that pearly white smile that was so comforting. He shook Nightmare's hand firmly, chuckling. "Cole Wilson, nice to meet you, kid. I'm (Y/N)'s stepdad. This is their mom, Vicky." He gave my mom's shoulder a little squeeze, causing her to attempt to regain her scowl. It was clear she was still scared, at least a little. Cole's head snapped over to me, smiling. "So, two questions. One, why's there a little kid? Two, your high-school buds are waiting to see you- kinda spilled the beans on the whole hospital thing." Welp. Shit.

Hey! I'm trying to post more regularly now, so hopefully I can stick to that! Hope you enjoyed Ragemare and best man Cole being the most perfect human being (except you of course, silly). See you soon (sooner than you think maybe~).

Date: 7/24/23 05:13

Word Count: 1192