The Return

"Everything, in time."
—Unknown

...

Finnick Odair, victor of the 65th Annual Hunger Games and youngest ever victor, had finally arrived back in District 4.

Crowds rushed him, bombarding him with questions and praise. All the while, the boy was looking for his family in the crowd.

And that was when he saw Lyra, held from behind by Coral. Sean held Lyra's hand and Reef and Ocean stood behind their sister.

Where were his parents?

...

"How did you do it?"

Finnick had asked for a moment alone with Coral a few hours after hearing what happened the night he won. The night his parents were killed.

The two were alone in a room in Finnick's new house. The others and Mags were elsewhere in the house, keeping Lyra busy.

"I asked him to be merciful and he was. No strings attached." Cora answered simply.

Finnick groaned. "Did he tell you to say that?"

"Finnick, I need you to trust that I did the right thing. I can't tell you any more than I have already," the girl pleaded with a look of urgency in her eyes.

The boy sighed, he knew how Snow was. And he would soon find out that the man was much worse than he seemed. "Okay."

The two just stood there in silence. They weren't quite sure what to do now that everything was so different. They didn't hate each other. Not anymore. So, what were they, if not rivals?

Just before they left, Finnick remembered something he hadn't gotten the chance to say earlier and turned to look at Coral before he left.

"Thank you, by the way."