Masquerade

"Find a mask and wear it well. So, your true identity, no one can tell."
— Unknown

...

Coral Newport and Finnick Odair were at a Capitol party. And, for once, they weren't there for an appointment.

It was Xena's eighteenth birthday. And, in honor of the occasion, she was throwing a masquerade ball.

Just to be sure, she had already paid for both Finnick and Cora's company, but she expressly told them that they were to be normal guests. Meaning that they didn't need to stay by her side all night unless they really wanted to.

There was no official guest list. Just the nameless invites that had been sent out by Xena (through Percy, who had assisted her in the logistics of her party). The guests were encouraged to bring friends.

...

The age of adulthood in Panem was nineteen years old, the age that one could no longer participate as a tribute in the Hunger Games.

In the Capitol, eighteenth birthdays were a big deal. The last year of childhood. Not that adulthood was much different.

Eighteenth birthdays were also extra-celebrated in Districts 1 and 2, where volunteering for the games was most common. The lower districts celebrated nineteen because it meant they didn't have a chance to die in the Hunger Games.

District 4, technically being a career district, but not a Hunger Games centered culture (like 1 and 2), celebrated nineteen as well. Though some individual District 4 families did celebrate eighteen, it was fairly uncommon.

...

Since everyone at Xena's party was anonymous, Cora and Finnick got to dress more comfortably and blend-in. It was nice, not being on display.

The dress-code was extravagant and monochrome. There was no necessary color scheme. Guests were to wear whichever one color they liked as long as it was from head to toe. Even hair must match. The only things that didn't have to match the chosen color were eyes and skin (including lips, if one felt inclined to leave them bare).

All of this ensured that the Victors of District 4 would be virtually invisible. Allowed to just exist without any real expectations for a night. And that's exactly why Xena had planned her party the way she did. To celebrate herself and to give her friends a break.

...

Finnick wore a deep blue suit with a deep blue masquerade mask and a deep blue wig that looked just like his normal hair, only dyed. The color was a beautiful contrast against his bronze skin. And he was completely unrecognizable as Finnick Odair: Victor of the 65th Annual Hunger Games.

Cora arrived later than Finnick. She wore an ice blue princess-style ball gown with a fairly modest sweetheart neckline. Her masquerade mask and wig (that also resembled her normal hair, only dyed) were the same ice blue as her gown. The make-up she wore under her mask was the same ice blue and her eyeshadow was glittery.

The two would've arrived together, but Klavien and Orasta Wyrinas (Finnick's stylist), wanted the Victors to be surprised when they saw each-other at the party. The stylists seemed to understand, much better than the seventeen-year-olds did, that Finnick and Cora loved each-other.

Orasta was especially enthusiastic that the two would have a magical moment. Klavien was just as enthusiastic, in his own way. They didn't tell this to the teenagers, though. They had given the age-old excuse of girls taking longer to get ready than boys. No use making Finnick wait.

Cora loved her gown. Yes, it was beautiful. Yes, it was more modest. But, more importantly, it was something that she chose for herself. Not Snow. Not a patron. Not even Coral Newport: Victor of the 66th Annual Hunger Games. Cora chose it. Just Cora. She was allowed to be herself when no one knew it was her. And it felt wonderful.

After arriving, she wandered the ball. She talked to people when she felt like it and she wasn't gawked at. She found Xena, who was decked-out in hot pink, of course, and wished her a happy birthday. It was nice.

The only thing missing was Finnick. This was maybe the only chance she would get to be near him whilst in the Capitol without getting in trouble. She didn't want to miss out on time with her friend at a fancy event.

The only problem was, she didn't know what he looked like. Not in a sea of people, all wearing masks.

Where was he?