A Wedding

"Just because we can't be together, doesn't mean I won't love you."
— Unknown

...

The 72nd Hunger Games passed without incident. About a month later, Crane Marin proposed to Annie Cresta. She said yes.

Annie was nineteen and Crane was twenty. They were young, but they knew they wanted to spend the rest of their lives together. Annie wasn't under the same pressure from Snow that Finnick and Cora were, so she was free to be in love and get married. There was nothing holding her back, so why wait?

Coral Newport and Finnick Odair were back in District 4 for the wedding. It was a small wedding, nothing fancy. All that mattered was that, by the end of the day, Annie Cresta would be Annie Marin.
Cora was the only bridesmaid. Finnick and Blue were the groomsmen. Mags would be giving Annie away.

"You look so beautiful, Annie," Cora gushed to the bride.

"You mean it?" The redhead shyly asked.

"Of course I do," the strawberry-blonde beamed.

Annie was breathtaking. She wore natural makeup that only served to soften her already-soft features.
Her blazing red hair was held half-up by little blue flowers, the rest cascading down in beautiful waves. Not only was it a striking contrast, but it was also a nod to Lyra, who would've given anything to be there.

Her white dress was long and traditional with beautiful lacey accents. It hugged her slight curves and looked so natural on her. Like it was made for her. It had been her mother's from back when she married Annie's father.

The young woman was a vision. And, when Cora placed the veil over Annie's eyes, she had to hold back tears at just how beautiful her friend was. How excited she was to marry the love of her life. And Cora was excited for her. Crane was a good man, she knew he would treat her right.

Cora herself was wearing a simple light blue gown made from the traditional lightweight fabric used in District 4. Annie had chosen it for her. It was beautiful and modest, not too showy, which the strawberry-blonde greatly appreciated.

Music played as Annie walked down the aisle, Mags by her side and Cora behind her. The strawberry-blonde widened her eyes when she saw the groom. Crane was in a white suit.

It wasn't traditional, but it was meaningful. White dresses symbolized the bride's purity entering into the marriage. Grooms weren't expected to wear white on their weddings, but Crane did. And Cora was proud of him for it.

Cora was also proud of Blue, who looked so grown-up in his light blue suit. He was smiling as he watched Annie walk down the aisle.

And then she saw Finnick. He wore the same suit Blue was wearing, just a larger version. He too was smiling proudly as he watched Annie walk down the aisle. Her breath hitched when she saw him. For just a second, she imagined that this was her wedding. That she was the bride and he was the groom. And then he looked at her.

When his eyes met Cora's, that smile of his faltered just a little bit. She looked just like a dream. And, though this was Annie's day, he couldn't help but picture his own wedding. One where Cora was the bride.

Of course, neither of them knew what the other was thinking. And so they both shook off the thought. Even if it wasn't one-sided, it could never happen anyway.

The Mayor of District 4 performed the ceremony. Annie and Crane said their vows and, when they kissed, Cora could've sworn she saw Finnick glance at her.

The rest of the wedding went on merrily, with dancing and delicious food prepared by Blue. It was nice.

A beautiful older woman, likely in her mid forties, with raven hair and sea blue eyes approached Cora during the reception.

"I don't believe we've met," the woman began. "I'm Crane's mother, Shelly Marin."

Cora could see the family resemblance. "It's a pleasure to finally meet you, Mrs. Marin," the young woman smiled. "Coral Newport, but everyone calls me Cora."

The older woman smiled an almost sad sort of smile at Cora before looking around at the small gathering of people and pointing out an older man with light brown (and some grey) hair. "My husband, Hermit Marin," she explained. "Twenty-two years together, and yet it sometimes feels like we're still newlyweds. I've always wanted that sort of love for my son."

"He's found it with Annie," Cora assured.

The raven-haired woman smiled again. "Of that, I'm sure. I love that girl like my own, you know. She's always been such a joy to have around. It breaks my heart, what happened to her."

"Mine too," Cora said, the weight of it all audible in her tone.

The women watched the guests in silence for a while.

"I visited your brother before he went off to the arena. Did he tell you?" The older woman mentioned.

The green-eyed woman's eyes widened, knowing she meant Sean. "No, he didn't say much of anything after what happened to Lyra," she sadly admitted.

"Hm," Mrs. Marin acknowledged.

"What did you say to him, if you don't mind me asking?"

"I thanked him for saving my son's life. And I told him how brave he was."

"Thank you," Cora said, glad the woman had thanked Sean instead of ignoring him.

"Thank you. Your family is incredible. You sacrifice so much for nothing but suffering in return. And everyone else benefits from those sacrifices. I don't know how you all do it."

Cora was silent, not knowing what to say. What could she even say to that?

"I'm sorry if I crossed a line, it wasn't my intention," Mrs. Marin apologized.

"You didn't," Cora said. "I just don't know how to respond."

"I admire your honesty," the woman smiled. "Please tell me if I do cross a line with this, but I have a question I'd like to ask you."

"Go ahead, I promise I'll let you know."

"My son and my daughter-in-law are free to fall in love. Are you?"

"What?"

"Are you free to fall in love? I'm not talking about marriage, I assume your role in the Capitol might prevent that—"

"What do you know about my role in the Capitol? Did Annie or Crane tell you something?" Cora wasn't defensive, but confused.

"Observation, my dear. I've always been rather talented at it."

"Oh..."

"Back to my question. Are you free to fall in love? To be in love?"

"I don't understand..."

"You cannot get married. Or even be in a formal relationship, if I understand correctly. Are you free to love someone and be loved back?"

"I... I don't know. Why are you asking this?" The young woman was completely lost.

"I want you to have the love that you so deserve. The kind that seems to be denied to you."

"How do you even know I want that?" Cora drew her brows together and smiled a perplexed smile.

"Observation," the woman smiled and looked out at the guests once more.

Cora followed her gaze to find Finnick, who was talking to Blue.

"If you're careful, love can't be taken from you. Even in the most dire circumstances."

The strawberry blonde looked at the woman in complete and utter astonishment.

"Ah, Hermit is calling me to the dance floor. I'll be joining him now. It was lovely meeting you." And Shelly Marin walked off as if nothing had happened. But Cora's mind was racing.

What did she mean by that?

Cora didn't know, but she would find out.