Masquerade Cont.

"And they can't steal the love you're born to find."
— Dean Lewis

...

Finnick searched the party for Cora. He'd already wished Xena a happy birthday. Now, all that he cared about was finding his friend. And then he heard her voice.

He turned to find a beautiful girl in ice blue talking with two people only a few feet away from him. She was using a Capitol accent to blend in, like he was, but he'd recognize that voice anywhere, no matter the accent.

And she was breathtaking. Everything about her. But, what he loved most was her gown. It was long and puffy like a princess. It was modest.

This ice blue version of Cora wasn't on display, much like the deep blue version of himself, which revealed none of his chest. That made him happy. To see her in clothing he knew she was more comfortable in.

Of course, this was all platonic observation. He was just happy for his friend. That's why he couldn't look away from her.

He snapped out of his daze and approached her just as a slow song began to play in the background.

...

"May I have this dance?"

Cora turned when she heard the familiar voice. It was Finnick. She could tell by his eyes. He was using a Capitol accent, like her. Great minds do think alike.

It made the ice blue girl's heart soar to see him covered-up as much as he was. He wasn't on display. And neither was she.

"You'll have to excuse me," she said in her Capitol accent to the two she'd been speaking with (one in vermillion and one in fuchsia) and allowed the deep blue young man to take her hand and lead her to the dance floor.

Finnick placed his hands on her waist while she wrapped hers around his shoulders. They were very close as they swayed to the beginning of some old love song.

"You look beautiful," Finnick told her as they danced. He meant it platonically, of course.

"You can't even see me," Cora countered, "but thank you. You look pretty handsome, yourself."

"Oh, I am hurt. Only pretty handsome? Wow. My poor heart," the boy in deep blue lamented, playfully.

The girl smiled. "You know what I mean."

"Do I?" He asked as he let go of her so that he could spin her before bringing her right back into him.

"You do," she confirmed as she wrapped her arms back around his shoulders.

They danced, keeping up some sort of playful banter until the slow song ended and a fast one began. They danced wildly to the fast song, having the time of their lives.

...

The two found themselves outside, the cool night air feeling nice against Cora's bare arms. After a while, she started to shiver.

And so, Finnick removed his coat and placed it around her shoulders. The boy was left in his deep blue collared shirt, enough protection from the air to keep him warm.

"It would be nice," Cora began, "if life was always like this."

"What do you mean?" asked the boy who stood right next to her, leaning against the stone railing of the balcony they were in.

"If, when we weren't at home, we lived like this. No expectations or responsibilities. Just dancing around in outfits we chose ourselves."

The boy smiled. "I can agree with that."

They stood in silence for a while, both staring up at the night sky. The stars seemed to shine brighter than usual. The moon was full and shone down on them, making them look like they were glowing. It was ethereal.

"Do you see Lyra's constellation?" The deep blue boy asked, still looking up at the stars.

The ice blue girl squinted, trying to find Lyra but she seemed to be lost among the stars. "Yes," Cora stated so confidently that Finnick knew she was lying.

The boy shook his head as he scooted closer to Cora. He lightly grabbed her hand in his, making it point to the stars. Ignoring the indignant look she was giving him for his actions, he instructed her.

"See that really bright star? That's Vega. And the stars under it that make a sort of rectangle shape?"

"I know what Lyra looks like," she told him, not removing her hand from his.

"I know you do," he smirked. "I'm just helping you find her."

"I said I saw her."

"You were lying."

"No, I wasn't." The seventeen-year-old girl really didn't know why she was feeling so stubborn all of the sudden.

"Cor, you're not a very good liar." Finnick brought their hands down, still holding her's, and stared into his friend's eyes.

He had forgotten how pretty they were. They were green, but not like his sea-green eyes. They were a sort of grey-green. Cora liked to call them storm-green. It was fitting.

Cora just stared right back into Finnick's eyes, suddenly at a loss for words. She had no idea why, but her brain felt completely empty at that moment.

Violin music quietly poured out from the ballroom. The night felt still and peaceful. It was strange, not being able to fully see each-other's faces.

Maybe that was why the two became so aware of their eye colors. They could stare into each-other's eyes or at each-other's lips, which they did for a split second before quickly looking back up.

It definitely didn't mean anything, it was because the masks covered everything else. That was all.

"May I have this dance?" Finnick whispered, not wanting to disturb the peace of the moment. It was rare that he or his friend got moments of peace like this.

She nodded, letting go of his hand and looping her arms back around his neck while his hands found her waist.

They swayed for a while, Cora resting her head on Finnick's chest as she began to grow tired. He held her closer.

They were just friends. Sure, he had had a crush on her shortly after her games. But that had faded. So why did he feel more whole when he held her?

Somewhere in the back of his mind, he understood what was happening. What he was feeling was dangerous, he knew that. He didn't know much else. But he did know one other thing for certain:

When he held her in his arms, he never wanted to let go.