Dawn

"There's something about the way dawn whispers... so much is out there waiting, that keeps my dreams breathing, there's just a way that morning carries hope."
—Butterflies Rising

...

It was quiet when Coral Newport woke up for her first day of training. She woke up slowly, shuffling in her sheets a little. After a few seconds, her eyes opened. She knew she wouldn't be falling back asleep.

The strawberry-blonde rolled out of bed and put on tight, athletic black pants and tank top. She assumed they were meant for training.

Leaving her room, barefoot and quiet, Cora walked to the kitchen island and sat down on one of the stools. She wasn't yet hungry.

Outside, she could see that the sky was a medium blue. Not dark like nighttime, but it wasn't bright like in the daytime. It was dawn.

...

"Cora," Evangeline Newport whispers to the seven-year-old girl. "Cora, come with me."

The girl has been crying all night, remembering her parents and having nightmares that her new family would die the same way.

Her head is currently laid down in Evangeline's lap, the woman running her hands through the girl's hair.

The two get up and the raven-haired woman holds the strawberry-blonde's hand as she led her outside. It is a quiet morning on the beach.

The frigid water ebbs and flows lazily over the two's feet. The world seems to have a blue tint to it. The world isn't yet busy and bright and hot, bustling with citizens. All is calm.

"Cora, look at the sky," Evangeline says, quietly but not in a whisper.

The girl does as she is told.

"What do you see?"

The seven-year-old thinks for a moment. It doesn't seem all that special. "Blue."

The woman smiles softly. "Yes, it's blue. But do you notice the shade? It's not dark like nighttime, but it's not bright like in the daytime. It's dawn."

"I don't get it. It's just the sky."

"Cora, the sky is just like life. Just like your life. There are dark moments, like nighttime. Moments when life is sad. And there are light moments, like daytime. Moments when life is happy. And there are in-betweens. Like sunrises and sunsets. When life goes from sad to happy and happy to sad. Those are the big moments, the ones that change everything. The jarring transitions. And then there are quiet ones, like this. Like the dawn. You're past the sunrise, but it's not quite daytime yet. But it will be. Do you understand?"

The girl doesn't respond for a moment, the waves washing over her feet as she ponders the sky. And it begins to get lighter.

"Maybe."

"Just remember it, okay? You don't need to understand it, now. You still have time."

"You still have time."

Cora wiped a few stray tears from her face as she heard someone walking towards the kitchen. Finnick.

His hair was a mess and he was still in his baggy pajamas as he rubbed his eyes with one hand, entering the kitchen area.

"Mind if I join you?" He asked, his voice still a little tired, gesturing to the stool next to her. His lips curved up on the edges as he spoke.

"Go ahead," was the girl's tired reply. She glanced at him and then back out the window. The sky was beginning to get lighter.

The two sat like that for a while without speaking.

"How long have you been up?" Finnick asked, trying to make conversation.

"Not long, about a half hour... You?"

"I just woke up," he smirked a little, reminding Cora of the old Finnick.

"I think you should volunteer," the voice of fourteen-year-old Finnick Odair rang through Cora's memory. "You really have a shot. You could just yell at all the other tributes until they die. Quickest games to date."

The girl chuckled a bit at the memory.

"Do you remember our conversation the day of your reaping?" Cora asked. "Before the ceremony started," she clarified.

The boy furrowed his brows and thought back.

Laughing a little, he asked "Didn't you say you wanted me dead in that one?"

Blushing a little at the irony of the situation. "That was only after you told me to volunteer," she reminded him, smiling.

He laughed a real laugh this time. "Oh, so it's my fault you wanted me dead? I see how it is."

"Yes, I'm so glad you finally understand!"

He smiled. "But I couldn't have been that bad, you did save my life."

Cora stopped laughing, but continued smiling softly. "What?"

"When you promised to take care of my family. I didn't get to thank you before I left. And I was confused. You'd just told me that you wanted me dead, and then gave me a reason to try and stay alive by keeping my family afloat while I went away. I wanted to know why." He explained, sincerely.

Cora stopped smiling and looked back out the window. "Yeah, well, I didn't end up keeping my promise, did I?"

It went silent again.

"Cora," said the fifteen-year-old boy, placing his hand on her shoulder. "What happened to them was my fault. I said something I shouldn't have. You're the reason that I still have Lyra. And you're paying for that right now. You've done more than anyone would have. I'll never be able to repay you for it."

She looked at his hand on her shoulder, processing his words. "It's not your fault either, you know? You were upset and said the wrong thing. It's–" she decided against saying it was Snow's fault, remembering that they were probably being watched on surveillance. "It's not your fault."

He scoffed, but she could tell that he was grateful to have heard that.

"We should start discussing your strategy," the boy switched topics.

"Do you still think I could win by yelling at all the other tributes until they die?"

And the two started laughing again. Cora looked out to the sky once more, it was a brilliant blue.