Chapter 6

As we got out of the carriage and began walking towards the castle, I kept glancing back at the winged creatures, not caring if anyone saw me. Crazy or not, I was still seeing something there...

My temper was so through the roof that when Fred tried to walk beside me on the way to the castle, I walked off without a word, and began walking with Luna instead.

"You seem upset, Lily," she said in her soft voice.

"I am," I mumbled. "I think everybody in this castle thinks I'm crazy, and even my own friends are starting to think so too."

"How so?"

"You know how the carriages usually pull themselves?" I said as we walked through the entrance hall. "Well, tonight they weren't. There were these weird... reptile horse things pulling them, and nobody else could see them. They thought I was pulling their leg."

"Oh, you're not going mad," she said dreamily. "They've been pulling the carriages since the first day I got here."

"Really? How come nobody else can see them?" I asked, slightly relieved that someone else could see them, but before Luna could tell me, we had reached the Great Hall, and she had to go sit with the Ravenclaws.

"I'm sorry Lily, I'll tell you about them another time, though!" she said kindly, before following the rest of the Ravenclaws.

"My luck..." I mumbled, and then sat beside Harry at the Gryffindor table. Hermione and Ron were sitting across from us. I looked down the table to see that Fred was staring at me from his seat beside George, Lee, Ava, and Olivia, and I looked away.

"Did you see them?" Harry said to me.

"You saw them too?" I said in relief. "The weird horse things pulling the carriages? Yeah I saw them! Everyone was acting like I was going crazy..."

"Yeah, nobody else could see them," Harry said. "Nobody else except for-"

"-Luna," I finished, and he nodded. He hesitated for a moment before speaking again.

"About last night-"

"Not now, Harry," I groaned. "I already talked to Sirius about it, I get it. I'm a wreck and I need to get my shit together. I know."

He stared at me for a moment, and then nodded.

"You're right," he said, and I scowled. "I'm just worried, Lily."

"Yeah, I know," I said. "But you don't need to be. Things will be better now, we're back at Hogwarts! We're out of that dusty old house, no offense to Sirius, but Hogwarts is much better."

"Agreed," Harry grinned. "Did you see Grubbly-Plank?"

"Yeah, Hagrid is nowhere to be found," I frowned, scanning the Great Hall. "I'm a bit worried, to be honest."

"Yeah, I am too..." Harry said quietly.

"Hagrid's not at the staff table," Hermione said from across from us.

"Yeah, we know," I said.

"D'you think he left?" Ron said anxiously.

"No way," Harry answered.

"Do you think he could be... hurt?" Hermione said.

"No," Harry and I instantly said. He leaned in closer to the three of us, and then added quietly, "Maybe he's not back yet. You know, from his mission- the thing he was doing over the summer for Dumbledore."

"Oh yeah! I forgot about that, my memory is awful," I said.

"Yeah, that'll be it," Ron said, but his tone was still a bit anxious.