15. A betrayal....

"A-Cheng, ask your aunt if  En Jie is ready. The Lan pack is on their way here. Tell your mother to bring Jie and the others to the clearing," said Luo Jian Min. Zhuocheng nodded at his father's words and was almost out of his father's room when the Alpha asked, "Is Zhan here? He went to pick the presents." "He said he will be here in a few", answered Zhuocheng telling him he had called Zhan a while ago. "Good." Luo Jian Min wanted to make sure nothing was lacking. The Wangs had been extremely respectful and patient but Jian Min wanted to be careful with everything. The Wangs had insisted to make the mating ceremony a small affair saying that Wang Yibo didn't want his private moments advertised and Jian Min could only accept it. The Wangs were known to be reserved. They made sure to keep other people out of their business. The Wangs were known to handle their business in secrecy. Although they were in the limelight more often than not, their interactions were to the point and nothing that wasn't meant to be known was ever discussed. Wang Yibo himself had turned the shifter world upside down by his actions making lots of enemies but he had leverage over all of them. No one had the guts to go against him which was both admirable and scary at the same time. He couldn't be threatened and only fools tried to cross him. Even though the Yunmeng pack was going to have a familial relationship with the Lan pack, Jian Min didn't trust those people.
All this time there was something else that was bothering him. Something about Wang Yibo and his nephew.

Wang Yibo wanted a mate for namesake and if not for the safety of the pack, Jian Min would have never accepted this union. Jing Tong had been hell-bent to let En Jie go through with this but as the Alpha of the pack, Jian Min could only pity the young Omega. She had agreed to this arrangement without thinking things through. Jian Min had heard that Wang Yibo's mate had died at the tender age of five. He was only eight at that time. Losing your fated partner was not easy to cope with but Yibo hadn't even cried at her death. One could say that he didn't feel the pull of the bond or was too young to decipher the true meaning of it but in his opinion, the man was incapable of  feeling. His harsh words came from the series of facts he had on Wang Yibo. The man was calculative,ruthless and didn't care what he had to do in order to get what he wanted. He had his own share of losses over the years but not once had the man ever reacted. He was always cold, always looking for potential benefits. Yunmeng was not the only pack he had struck a deal with. Some packs owed Wang Yibo their land, some money and some their lives. All of this had been exchanged for protection from Lan pack. Jian Min had been enraged when he had heard that Xiao Zhan had reached out to Yibo. He was surprised that Wang Yibo had been willing to listen to Zhan. The fact that he was convinced and had asked for an Omega was too much for Jian Min to come in terms with. His conditions were difficult to fulfill but they weren't impossible. And this reason aroused his suspicions on Wang Yibo. Wang Yibo had been too cooperative. In this entire arrangement, the only person Jian Min was afraid for was Xiao Zhan. It hadn't missed his eyes the way Yibo stared at Zhan when no one was looking. Jian Min had seen it in the engagement party for himself. Wang Yibo had been glaring at Zhuocheng for standing too close to Zhan. His eyes gravitated to where Zhan was. Wang Yibo had been very subtle about it but 'The hunter' missed nothing. Seeing Zhan laugh had Yibo's lips curving in a cold smile and their interaction in the corridor had been heard by Jian Min. Wang Yibo had said yes to getting mated with En Jie but held no feelings for her. His target somehow appeared to be Xiao Zhan and this worried Luo Jian Min.

"Jian Min!!! Jian Min!!!",came his wife's anxious voice and Jian Min's instincts took over. He rushed outside and almost crashed into his wife who was panting as if she had run a marathon. What had his hackles rising was the fear shining in her eyes. Luo Jing Tong was a smart and brave woman. Jian Min hadn't seen her so rattled since ages."What's wrong? Are you ok?", he checked her over brushing the free locks of hair from her temple and his wife's next words had him freezing. "En Jie....she..s-she is gone."They were just a few words but the weight of them settled heavily on Jian Min. "Lu Shuang?", he demanded and Jing Tong clutched at his suit. "She said, En Jie left with her mate. They have been together even before her engagement to Yibo. What are we going to do Jian Min?"  Each word was more shocking than the other and Jian Min saw his son and nephew standing with grim faces in the doorway.  "A-Cheng, send out search parties for her. An Omega shouldn't be alone on a full moon. We need to inform the Wangs about this." He said in a grave voice.  "Will they understand?", asked Jing Tong and Jian Min left the question unanswered.

"Why did she bail on us like this? She knows what's at stake", bit Zhuocheng through clenched teeth and his mother turned to Zhan with hatred burning in his eyes. "This is all because of him. We treated him so well, I went against my own niece for this latent and she avenged herself by doing this." "Mom, do you even hear yourself? Stop this nonsense." Zhuocheng said sternly annoyed by his mother's words. "I am speaking the truth. If not for him, she would have never turned her back on us", continued Jing Tong and Zhan couldn't stop himself. "Aunt Luo, En Jie left because she is a selfish woman. Even if you try to pin the blame on me you can't ignore the fact that your own niece betrayed you. She could have come to us and made things clear but she chose to run away. I will not shoulder someone else's blame." Zhuocheng placed a hand on Zhan's shoulder after his outburst while glaring at his mother. "You are siding with him,Cheng? You just wait. This snake is going to bite off the hand that feeds him. He will b-"  "Shut up,Tong." The dominant command of the Alpha silenced her and Luo Jian Min walked out of the house with Zhan and Zhuocheng behind him. Zhan's head was pounding, the words Aunt Luo said had taken their toll on him. Zhan refused to believe that En Jie had done all of this out of something as petty as to get back at him. It was one thing hating Zhan but no one could put everyone they loved in danger because of something so foolish. He ran a hand through his hair in frustration and Zhuocheng caught him in the act. "Don't you dare, Zhan. You know you aren't responsible for this. It's on En Jie." Zhuocheng knew Zhan well and so did his mother. She knew saying something like this would fuck Zhan up and it had. Zhuocheng had no words to justify his mother's actions because he knew that she thought she was looking out for Zhuocheng in her own twisted ways. Zhan looked at him and nodded his head. They had more pressing issues to deal with. His uncle was relaying the news to Wang Yibo and Zhan was sure the man was going to lose it. Pride was of utmost importance to an Alpha and being fooled like this was not going to settle well with Wang Yibo. He just hoped his uncle managed to convince the Alpha to buy themselves some time because thinking that Yibo would let them off unscathed was asking for a miracle.  His uncle came out from his study and the look on his face had Zhan feeling sick with apprehension. "They are here" was all his uncle said and shot Zhan a 'stay here' look.Zhan opened his mouth to argue but his uncle's voice had him backing down. "Stay back. It's an order from your Alpha."  Zhan could not go against the command and his body submitted much against his wishes.

Wang Yibo was seething with rage. His mouth was set in a hard line and his eyes were burning with murderous intent. He stalked to the Alpha's house and growled loud, making his displeasure clear. As expected, the Yunmeng Alpha, his mate and their son were in the room with their protectors and pack members flanking them. Wang Yibo seated himself across them with Wang Haoxuan and Wang Rong, his enforcers behind him. "You really do take me as a joke,don't you, Mr. Luo?", he spat coldly. "You made a deal and now you think a shitass explanation like this will appease me? Bring that woman to me. I was promised an Omega and I will mate with one tonight." His aggressive words had the Yunmeng pack eyeing him with trepidation but Wang Yibo didn't care. He was done playing nice. Jian Min had been staring at him for a while before he spoke calmly. "En Jie chose to be with her mate Mr.Wang. We ourselves weren't aware of this news. We can only hope you will let us come up with another solution. As for the matter of being your Omega, I won't force my people into something they don't want. The sole reason for this arrangement was to avoid situations like this. I only wish you give us another chance." "Another chance?", began Wang Yibo mockingly. "I have run out of patience. I won't be fooled. You better find me an Omega within an hour or I will assist the Wens myself when they destroy you."
No one was stupid enough to think that Wang Yibo wasn't capable to follow through what he had said. Wang Yibo didn't make empty threats. His reputation was of a man who gave no second chances and Yunmeng pack had witnessed it first hand tonight. "Maybe Xiao-ge can convince him", someone whispered but a snarl from Luo Jian Min had them cowering. "No one will mention him here. You shut that trap of yours before I pull your tongue out." His menacing words shut them up and Zhuocheng spoke a heartbeat later. "How about you find yourself an Omega and we forget this deal ever happened?" Zhuocheng's anger took over when Wang Yibo smirked arrogantly. "You need to teach your son some manners, Madam Luo. His attitude is going to get you into trouble." Zhuocheng was about to speak again when Jing Tong pulled him back. "The clock is ticking, Mr Luo. As I have said before, I am not a patient man." The entire Jiang Pack stared wide-eyed at the man before them. The Phoenix as everyone called him, the man was as unforgiving and cold as the rumours said.