26. You won't like the answer...

Wu Xize was dressing a glass of bourbon in his hand watching the dark liquid swirl when he heard the faint sound of the doorknob turning. A man in a dark suit walked in and Wu Xize arched a brow at him. "Sire, the wolves are here." The words were spoken with such disdain, a smile made it's way on Xize's face and he motioned his man to let the guests in. His men weren't fans of the werewolves which was no surprise but Wu Xize didn't share the same opinion as them. Animosity aside, the slaves to the moon were loyal, vicious and unpredictable. A few qualities that Xize admired. Putting the glass tumbler on the table he stood up just as the doors swung open again and there stood "The Phoenix", a man Wu Xize respected and could call a friend.  "Ah! Yibo. Your man contacted me...I am glad you reached out", he said in a friendly tone and as Wang Yibo walked further into the VIP room Xize's eyes landed on the beautiful man beside him. "So the rumors are true. You chose well, Wang Yibo. Congratulations." Yibo smirked and pulled the man beside him closer to himself and Xize saw just how taken the Alpha was with his Omega. This was a version of Wang Yibo that Xize had never seen before. There were a lot of people in their world who called Wang Yibo a cold, ruthless man but today that Wang Yibo was nowhere in sight. In his place was a Wang Yibo who had possesiveness, adoration and the fierce need to protect stamped all over himself. The vamp laughed inwardly at the turn of events and gestured the two to take a seat while the enforcers of the Lan pack stood behind their Alpha pair guarding them.

Wu Xize had a hard time taking his eyes off the dark haired man beside his friend. Xize had heard a lot about the man. Truly an intriguing being and seeing him in person was definitely better. There was just something about him that demanded your attention. It could be his beautiful face or maybe the way the man carried himself. Fearless and mischievous. The man didn't shudder under Xize's penetrative gaze, looking right back at Xize boldly instead and those intelligent eyes took him in, the dark gaze almost impish. "You might want to get your eyes off me. Yibo doesn't like it when people stare." The playful tone had Xize smirking and when he looked over at Yibo, the man had an amused look on his face. The whipped bastard.
Xize smiled and offered his hand to the young man. "Wu Xize." After a glance at his extended arm, a warm hand took hold of it and the man introduced himself. "Xiao Zhan." "Now that the pleasantries are over with, let's talk business", said Wang Yibo and judging from the cold, deep seated anger in Yibo's form, Xize guessed that Yibo wasn't in a mood for fun. Another thing that he liked about Wang Yibo, the man didn't like to waste time. "Tell me what you think", he prompted and Yibo began talking. "Zhang Wei attacked Yunmeng Jiang. There were wolves from the Wen Pack with him. They managed to evade my pack members and went to the place with the intention of getting my attention. There has to be a link between them." Wu Xize nodded at his friend and turned his focus to Xiao Zhan. "And what are your thoughts? Who can the person be?", he asked softly and even though the young man's eyes narrowed, he answered after a moment, the look on his face thoughtful. "He has to be someone who knows about the ins and outs of Yunmeng pack. Getting over the traps set over by our pack isn't that easy. There were things En Jie couldn't have possibly known and according to my uncle, the vamps didn't make any mistakes. As if they knew-" "Exactly where to look? Exactly what areas to avoid?", Xize cut him off and Xiao Zhan gave him a curt nod. "Who is it?", asked Yibo sharply and Wu Xize turned to Yibo with a smirk on his face. "Ask your mate. He is the one who pissed people off." The words had Xiao Zhan's eyes widening as he spoke through clenched teeth, "Are you implying that I am the reason this happened?"
When Xize didn't deny the claims, Zhan turned to Yibo perplexed and if he wasn't wrong, Xize saw desperation in the man's dark eyes. "I don't remember pissing someone off so bad that he would go after my pack to teach me a lesson. And I have no connection to Zhang Wei. How can I be related to any of this?"

Wang Yibo saw how unsettled his firecracker was getting and he pinned Xize with a hard gaze telling him to cut the crap. "The name..Xize." The vamp sighed at Wang Yibo's warning and gave him the name he wanted. "Chuyue. Peng Chuyue...Ring a bell, Xiao Zhan?" As soon as the words were out of Xize's mouth, Xiao Zhan froze beside Yibo as a look of disbelief settled on his sharp features. "Chuyue? Why would he do this? He has only met Yibo once. This doesn't make any sense!" The man was in shock and Wu Xize got up from his chair to hand out a black package to Yibo. "Chuyue met with Zhang Wei's men to strike a deal. The plan is to kill you, give the Yunmeng Jiang over to the Wens, all in return for Xiao Zhan. The proof and answers you want are all here. Once you decide on what you want to do, let me know. But remember Yibo, things should not escalate. We both know what's at stake here." The meeting ended and Yibo gave him a nod of acknowledgement and led a shaken Xiao Zhan out of the room. As the door closed with a soft thud, Xize walked towards the windows of the room looking at the pair leaving his club. "I can see why he wants you. Let's just hope Yibo comes to care for you. It would be a loss to have your pure heart broken."

The same night, Yibo entered his room only to find Xiao Zhan sitting cross-legged on the bed, his entire form tensed and frown lines on his face. Yibo locked the door behind him and the firecracker didn't even look in his direction. Yibo could practically hear the wheels turning in Zhan's head. It was obvious that Xiao Zhan was thinking of himself as responsible for what was happening. Peng Chuyue. It was him who put his Zhan in this condition. A mistake that was going to get him killed by Yibo.
Wu Xize hadn't disappointed Yibo. He and Zhan had gone through the file and found pictures of Peng Chuyue meeting Zhang Wei's second in command. His Zhan had been angry...so damn angry and Yibo knew it was hurt beneath all that anger. Zhan was hurt that someone he considered a friend once had done something so wretched. But he had believed it. It made sense. Chuyue had known the Yunmeng pack for years, was in touch with a lot of pack members. He could've easily given the information to the Wens. If Yibo died and the Yunmeng pack was destroyed, Xiao Zhan wouldn't have anywhere to go. Peng Chuyue would have played the hero then and given Zhan his support, becoming his confidant. The man had thought things through. Such a perfect plan but too bad, it had a big flaw. Yibo wasn't going to die this easy. Knowing that this scheme was to get his mate, Yibo was even more determined to live and finish his enemies off. It wasn't anger that took hold of Yibo when he heard Peng Chuyue's name. It was satisfaction. A dark, bone deep satisfaction. He could kill that measly fucker now and it would be justified. It had taken everything in Yibo to let the man go when he saw him forcing Zhan in the club, the possessive beast in him wanted to hurt the man who had dared to touch and kiss what was his. He finally had his chance. Yibo was going to make Chuyue beg for his death. But before that happened, he needed to drill into his firecracker's brain that he wasn't at fault.

"Zhan?",he called softly and Zhan snapped out of his daze. "Yibo", he responded trying to hide the guilt and anger in his voice but he wasn't fast enough. Yibo still saw what he was feeling. His mate came to sit beside him on the bed and placed a hand on Zhan's cheek making Zhan lean into the touch.  "What's going on in that beautiful head of yours?",asked Yibo and Zhan's gaze flickered with tenderness as his lips lifted into a small smile. "Flattery doesn't suit you." Yibo smiled at him and dropped a kiss at his temple. "It's not flattery, it's the truth." Yibo wrapped an arm around his shoulder bringing him closer and Zhan let him. Yibo's arms were becoming a safehaven to Zhan, he felt warm and protected. Nothing bad could touch him here. Burying his head into Yibo's chest he closed his eyes, drawing comfort from his mate. "Zhan, Chuyue's actions are not on you. He isn't any different from Lu En Jie. You aren't responsible, so don't be so kind and shoulder his blame. He isn't worth it." Zhan knew that Yibo was right but guilt is a strong feeling. It wasn't going to go away with just a few words. He stayed silent but Yibo wasn't having any of it. Yibo pulled away holding him by the shoulders, a fierce look on his face. "I won't let you feel guilty of something you didn't do, Zhan. All of this is on Peng Chuyue. His fault. Don't be an idiot." The words were spoken in a harsh tone and if Zhan wasn't staring into Yibo's concern filled eyes, he would have thought that Yibo was genuinely angry with him. He shot Yibo a mock glare,  pulling away from his Alpha. "I went from beautiful to an idiot in span of minutes. Wow!" Yibo tried to pull him back but Zhan avoided his touch annoying Yibo. "Zhan", warned Yibo trying again and Zhan gave in straddling the man's lap. Hands wrapped around his waist and Zhan's arms circled Yibo's neck. "I know what you said is right. It's just that...", he sighed and Yibo probed him further, "What? Tell me whatever is on your mind, Zhan-Zhan." Zhan took a deep  breath in and looked over Yibo's shoulder. "I should have known,Yibo. Maybe Xize was right in saying that I shouldn't have pissed him off. If only I was more patient..if I had not been so harsh in rejecting him, he wouldn't have done this." He gazed down at Yibo who was staring at him with a blank face. "What?",he questioned and Yibo shook his head saying, "You are wrong." "About what?", he asked again and Yibo gave him a soft look. "He would have reacted the same way no matter how considerate you were of his feelings. Rejection is rejection, Zhan. It doesn't matter if a heart is broken with harsh words or soft ones. It hurts the same." Zhan nodded at his words and Yibo kissed his lips looking into his eyes. "He knew what he was doing. He brought this upon himself and he is going to pay for it. Being a bitter asshole and taking this route was his decision. He could have handled this better like a man but he chose to be a coward and planned this. And now, he will suffer for it. You know I will kill him, right?" His tone was hard and at his words, Zhan nodded miserably. "I know. He conspired with your enemy. I wouldn't expect anything else from you." Zhan's words were soft and Yibo lifted his chin to make Zhan look at him when he said, "He is going to die because he hurt you. He is going to die because he thought he could take you away from me, Xiao Zhan. I could let him go for his sorry ass attempt to kill me but I will skin him alive because he thinks you are his. Nobody takes what's mine away from me and anyone who tries...god help him because I will hunt him down and rip his guts out."