12.Haldi & Wedding

Yaksha's POV

Last day. Just one last day and I won't be here tomorrow.
It's early morning,barely even morning it's dawn. Birds are just starting to chirp and I woke up with a jolt. Not that I even slept. Just for a hour maybe and I am already wide awake.

Great.

Since I am awake already let's just get ready for the haldi. The only thing I have to wear is my lehenga. Since I will have to shower later anyways there's no jewellery involved. Thank Goodness.

I just washed my face and hands a bit and sat in front of the mirror. I saw myself in the mirror and I started tearing up. It's not even me. It's Yaksha,the princess. The only thing similar is our face.In reality,I am deceiving everyone. Her father,her mother like aunt, her friends everyone! But it's not my fault too.

This situation is not in my hands. And even if I tell them the truth then what? Will they even believe me? They will just think I have gone crazy after the accident. Which I think isn't even accident anymore.

I wipe my tears off. It's not the time to complain about the situation. I have to alert all the time. It happened twice already. It can happen again.

I pick up the bright yellow lehenga and tie it tightly around my waist. I wore the blouse and kohl in my eyes.

"Baisa! Aap akeli kyun taiyaar ho rahi hain? Humein bula liya hota." Meena said entering my chamber.

(Why are you getting ready alone. You should've called me)

"Koyi nehi. Hum uth gaaye the toh socha taiyaar ho jaaye. Aap so rahi honge toh pareshaan nehi kiya." I said wearing the waist chain.

(It's nothing. I woke up so I thought I should get ready. You must be sleeping that's why I didn't disturb you)

"Pareshaani kaisi? Hum toh kab ke uth chuke hain. Baisa! Areh aapki mehendi ki raang to dekhiye. Kitni gehri raachi hain." She exclaimed excitedly.

(What disturbance?It's been a while since I am up. Look at your henna!It has left such dark stain.)

I looked at my hands and indeed it was really dark. Yaksha's body must have warm blood.

Meena picked up the anklets and kneeled in front of to help me wear them. She started again,

"Aap jante hain na log kya kehte hain? Mehendi ka raang jitna gehra, pati ka prem bhi utna hi zyada." She looked up at me with a teasing smile.

( You know what they about it? The darker the henna stain the more your husband will love you.)

I chuckled. "Yeah right."

"Alright. All set. You are looking so pretty. May evil eyes stay away from you." She said getting up.

"Areh Yakshu. You look just like a bright sunflower." Rajeshwari laughed.

"Let's go. Mother has sent me to fetch you." She said again.

I actually do. I look at myself one last time at the mirror and left the chamber.

The place where the ceremony is held is decorated by all yellow marigold flowers. Nothing like what we see nowadays. Simple but still very exquisite.

I sat in the middle of all ladies in a low stool. Slow flok music was coming from the background.

Father entered the place and kneeled in front me. He kissed my forehead and caressed my cheeks. He thought I wouldn't notice. But I did. I noticed how watery his eyes was. He was holding himself for me.