117

A few days later, we're relaxing on the couch of the apartment, in front of us the chimney. Our feets are being warmed by the fire and the blanket Shawn threw over us. We're reading a book (each one their own one – we aren't that far, we don't hold speeches à la "we like Jane Austen Pride and Prejudices" (great book by the way) or "we don't go on partys where people wear blue." Either way.).
The pizza in the oven is getting ready. It smells like roasted cheese, tomatoes ("sieved tomatoes!") and spices.

"So, what I was gonna ask you, this evening", Shawn hems suddenly. "Is, if you'd like to spent Christmas with me and my family."

"Spending Christmas with you and your family?" I stare at him with an open mouth. That came out of the blue. I didn't expect that.

"What's that for a face?", Shawn's asking with a joking tone, his eyes twinkling in amusement.

I speak out my last thought. "I guess I didn't expect that."

"Why?"

"We're only together since three weeks, and that not even official - I just didn't think you were that type of guy."

"Huh?"

"A guy that invites a girl to his family's christmas dinner - after such a short time."

"But I do. I mean, I am. And not."

"What?" I stare at him. He runs his fingers through his hair and gives me a smirky grin. "You should see the look of yours now. You look really confused."

"Well, maybe that's due to the confusing things you're saying."

Shawn takes my hand and makes little circles with his thumb on it. That's way more confusing. I shake my head. "So, let's just go back to the part where I asked you, if you really want me to invite me over Christmas to your family after being together for only roundabout a month."

"It's now over a month. Five weeks, to be exactly", Shawn says, and I roll my eyes, but something inside me is being very excited over the fact that Shawn asked me to spent Christmas with him. That means that it's something serious we have. Nathan (my ex-boxfriend from long a go) never asked me to spend Christmas with his family. But Nathan was also an idiot.
However. I'm very sure that the Mendes-family spends Christmas in a lovely way, and that it would be very nice. I hesitate.

My mother and I always used to go out for dinner and then later at home have some sweets and pack out presents under the tree. Since my ... father hasn't been living with us anymore, we etablished our own kind of Christmas that is different enough to have a happy evening but not to remind us of the family we once were in England. Usually, we visit relatives in England on the second Christmas day – that gives us enough time to have a little hangover from all the food and the hot punsh, but also to deal with an over eight hours flight.

Shawn's still looking at me like he's knowing what I'm thinking about right now, but he doesn't push me in any way.

Honestly, I do a lot to forget this time of the year, to forget that with my parent's divorce our family-under-the-christmas-tree-having-a-traditional-christmas-holiday ended.
For this year, I didn't think a lot about it, but it's logical that Gerald's gonna spend at least Christmas evening with us. Something I have to get used to now I guess.

"Your mother and her to-be-husband are of course invited, too. I know, you would normally spent Christmas with them."

Shawn got the point that was occuping me, and I give him a glance. He's looking at me like "What'd you expect from me?!"

I feel, that Shawn would be fine if I'd say that I'd preferred spending Christmas Eve with my mum if I'd want to. But I don't want to.

I blink and take a breath. Then I smile. "I didn't expect less from you", I say and ignore the knot in my stomach that build up itself while thinking of my father.

Shawn's cupping my face in his hands and strikes a curl of mine behind my ear. His gaze's now very serious. "If you'd prefer spending Christmas only with your mother, it would be okay. You'd come over the next day. If you want."

"Now I get the impression, you don't want me – us – to come", I say, and he takes breath to protest, but I close his mouth with a kiss. Our lips touch each others. First featherlight, then more intense. It's sending shivers down my spine and Shawn's hands finding a way under my clothes, touching bare skin and leaving traces of sparkles everywhere is making the knot going away slowly.

After kissing for a while, I get a little distance between us and say: "And you really think, that your family would accept us together again in one room? After the that disastrous evening?"

"Well, they would not only accept you, they would love it."

My gaze rests for a long second on Shawn's face, than I say: "You've already told your mother we'd come together, didn't you?"

Shawn's getting deep red. A fascinating view. He hems. "She could see, that I was ... different. Happier. And than she asked me out about how you were spending your holidays, and that she was thinking about inviting your mum and you over but that she didn't know how we two were standing together at the moment, and I was just smiling and-", "Okay, okay", I interrupt Shawn, kissing him again.

He beams. "So this is a yes?!"

Instead of an answer I just lean forward to kiss him.