Cabin Mates

Author note:

Was going to wait to start publishing this. But since Wattpad loves to delete my progress, it's probably safer for me to publish chapters as soon as they are done.

But seriously Wattpad needs to get their shit together. I'm sick of randomly losing 500+ words. (And reviving them never works! 😭)

Rant over, enjoy!

Tina's journaling supplies had spilt from her lap to Bad's. Sticky notes, pencils, highlighters, everything she had bought last fall before school started. Now it was summer and she was still getting her money's worth.

"Tina, I think you're being a little obsessive." Bad sighed, keeping her things from falling out of his lap.

"Are you kidding me?!" Tina wrote frantically in her journal. It was a new one. The pages were so crisp she could hardly hold the book open. "This is the opportunity of a fucking lifetime, buddy. I'm documenting it!"

Bad rolled his eyes and looked out the window. The scenery was slowly becoming nothing but trees. The bus seats have made him sore. But he would gladly sit for two hours more. If it meant he didn't need to do this.

Camp Academia was supposed to be a good opportunity. Something people wanted on future applications. Not because it helps you get a job, but because it's a subtle flex that you grew up with money or were very smart.

Only certain schools were invited. Elite schools. Either elite with money, or elite in brains. Although Bad failed to see why brains mattered. The brochure mentioned archery and horse riding. It hardly seemed like his literature skills would be tested there.

There was mentions of a literature club. But Bad figured it was the kind of thing you had to volunteer for. The kind of thing other people would bully you for doing.

"Tina, it's just summer camp."

"Just?!" Tina glanced up, still writing with a silver pen. "This isn't 'summer camp' this isn't even 'glamping'. This is..." Tina struggled. "I mean this is like– didn't you look this place up?"

"Of course I did." Bad did, briefly.

"The cabins are fancy. They have electric fire places!"

"Considering the subjectively low admission cost...I bet they don't work." Bad saved a highlighter from rolling away.

"Stop sucking my fun." Tina groaned. "This place is going to be cool. And this is the first ever summer for it. We're going to be a part of history. Some of the first students to attend the camp!"

Bad flinched as they hit a bump. "You know what...I'm glad you're excited."

"Are you really not excited?" Tina closed her pen and started putting things back into her pencil case.

"It's not my kind of fun..."

"They have a library on site and a literature club." Tina nudged him. "You'll like that. I hear there's going to be game nights too."

Bad shook his head. "That's the kind of activities you get bullied for doing."

"Bad, no one's going to bully us." Tina put her journal away.

"They won't bully you. People always like you. Until they see me and they start thinking you're weird because you're friends with me."

Tina punched his arm.

"Ow!"

"They are going to love you too, dammit!" Tina's kind words were almost a threat. "And if not you always have me and Foolish."