A Condition

While Skeppy was in the bathroom, Bad reapplied some deodorant and made sure his phone was charging. Service was terrible but he liked having his phone charged anyway.

Skeppy came out of the bathroom looking worse than when he went in. His eyes were glossy and he was hunched like his body was weighing him down.

"Gosh, you okay? You don't look good."

Skeppy sat on his bed, focusing on breathing instead of responding to Bad.

Bad sat on the bed with him. "Do you need the nurse?"

Skeppy mumbled a quick "no."

"Okay...but you really don't look good. Maybe it's that stupid tracksuit making you overheat."

Skeppy unzipped his jacket and tried to pull it off. Bad had to help him because he was shaking so much. "It's not the suit, but it doesn't help." Skeppy pulled his shoes off and moved in on his bed. He brought his knees to his chest.

Bad didn't know what to do. "Um...can I help? Somehow?"

Skeppy shook his head. "I'm okay, this happens sometimes." He placed a hand over his heart. It was still beating abnormally, trying to catch up with the brief exercise Skeppy just did.

"Oh, do you have some sort of... medical condition?" Bad might as well have asked if he loved his mother. That's how personal the question felt. Especially after Skeppy refused to answer.

"You don't have to tell me, sorry." Bad looked towards the door. Someone would notice them missing soon. "But it would be convenient to know. So I can look out for you."

"I don't need you to look out for me, that's ridiculous." Skeppy was offended, but just for a moment.

"I know, I know...but..." Bad sighed. He knew what it was like to be the person everyone had to take pity on. "I'm not trying to infantilise you. I just want to be prepared like...with Étoiles. He told us where he keeps his insulin in case he needs us to get it for him, yeah? So...it's just nice to know how to help someone if they need it."

Skeppy looked away because he couldn't handle how attentive Bad was being. He didn't understand the feelings stirring around in his head. "It scares people..."

"What?" Bad laughed lightly, awkwardly.

"When I tell people, it scares them."

Bad pulled his shoes off and moved in closer to Skeppy. "I walked down to the lake at night with you. I don't think you could scare me more."

"Be real..."

Bad held out his pinky. "I promise I won't be freaked out."

"That's so childish." Skeppy was already looping his pinky around Bad's.

"No one breaks pinky promises, come on." Bad shrugged his shoulders and smiled.

"Okay." Skeppy pulled his hand away from Bad's. "It's a heart condition."

Bad held his breath because his immediate thoughts were, It's that serious? Should he even be here?

"You're freaked out..." Skeppy was not disappointed.

"No! Maybe a little concerned." Bad admitted. "But it can't be that serious if you're here, right?"

"It's not serious...right now, as long as I take care of myself and don't push too hard." Skeppy wanted to open up more, but there was a knock on the door. And then they had to go back outside with the others.

🌧️ 🌧️🌧️

"Drizzle, again?" Skeppy looked out the window. "God hates me."