Betrayal

Some people left the cafeteria despite not being given permission. But anyone that liked to follow rules stayed where they were, waiting for permission to leave.

"It couldn't be Melissa, we'd know." Tina insisted. "She's our cabin mate." She looked at Bagi for an opinion.

"I don't know." Bagi shrugged. "Melissa is strange..."

"Melissa? No way." Tina didn't want to believe it. "She's a little goofy but come on. The girl wants to be a lawyer, she's super smart.

"You can be smart and reckless." Bagi said gently, afraid to start an argument.

Tina sighed. "I guess so...aw man this is really going to ruin the rest of this summer. Melissa is funny as heck. I loved chatting with her late at night.

"Yes." Bagi wouldn't particularly miss Melissa.

"Ah!" Skeppy yelped as a hand touched his shoulder. He turned around to see his sister. "Lya? What do you want?" Besides being paired together for some activities, the siblings stayed out of each other's business.

"Figured I'd use this time to make sure you're still alive and well." She sat down causally.

"We'd tell you if he died." Said Bagi.

"Good..." Lya looked at Skeppy, he didn't even look at her. "Great talk." Lya got up and sat back down with her friends.

Bad didn't ask about it because he knew personally how gruesome family issues could be. "hey, Skeppy?"

"Hm?"

"I'm going to try to talk to Roier, okay?"

"I don't know, maybe don't..." Anyone could see Roier was not in a good place.

"I just gotta try." Bad touched Skeppy's leg affectionately and got up. "I will be right back."

Skeppy grabbed Bad's wrist. "No, I really don't think you should."

Bad noticed Roier tapping his fingers against the table, staring off into space. Potentially preparing himself mentally to never speak to his sister again. Cellbit was still next to him, chewing lightly on his thumb. They weren't speaking to each other.

"I'll wait until tonight..." Bad sat back down.

"Speaking of tonight." Skeppy started. "We should stay in. After this situation, Counselors might actually be more on guard. We should stay in at night for a few days, until they trust us again."

Tina turned a little pink. "You guys sneak out? That's irresponsible."

"You have done it before." Bad pointed out.

"Well yes...to check on you. But I went right back to my cabin."

"Mhm..." Bad didn't tell her that he had caught her outside with Bagi. It was one of those things better left unsaid. "Well Skeppy needs to puff out smoke before bed."

"That's crazy." Tina said with light intention. "You vape? You never seem high though."

"I know what's enough for me, I don't let myself get high. Plus I don't really get high like other people. I smoke and then I just go to bed and sleep like a little baby."

🌙🌙🌙

That night was quiet.

Roier asked everyone to be quiet, to put their jackets over the windows since the cheap curtains still allowed shadows in.

Bad laid in bed reading under the only lamp left on in the room. He glanced over occasionally. Watching Roier swaddle Cellbit in a blanket. Cellbit had headphones on, connecting to Roier's phone. Tonight Cellbit slept on the inside of the bed, where Roier would block most of his view of the room.