The Window

"Is Skeppy here?" Bad asked the nurse that evening just after dinner.

"Yes, he is." Angela was playing solitaire and eating a granola bar. "What do you need?"

"To see him...can I just say a quick hello to him?"

Angela looked at Bad, knowing exactly what was going on. "He's not feeling well and you should be getting ready for bed."

"I just...wanted to know that he's okay." He might as well have ripped his heart out and dropped it on her desk.

"Be quick, okay?" Angela gestured to the door with her eyes.

Bad hurried to the door, leading to the room with nothing in it but a small bed and medical cart. And of course, Bad's soulmate.

Angela sighed and closed her laptop. Opening up her drawer, she pulled out a framed photo of her late wife.

"Bad?" Skeppy was sitting on the bed with an opened book in his hands.

"Oh my gosh, you can read." Bad teased him quietly. He kept his voice low as to not bother Angela. He was hoping she'd forget he was even there.

"Surprisingly, I can." He closed the book and used a popsicle stick for a bookmark.

"I know you don't want me to baby you but are you alright?"

"I'm okay." Skeppy put the book aside.

"Is it because of the gossip?"

Skeppy let the silence speak.

"I didn't tell anyone, I swear. Why would I start my own rumor about myself?"

Skeppy laughed and rubbed his forehead. "I know you didn't. It's not just that. I've had a headache all day. Just not feeling the best. Before you say it, no I don't need to go home. I just needed time alone."

Bad sat on the bed. "I'm really sorry about the rumor."

"It's not your fault..." Skeppy didn't want to think about the rumor too much anymore. "Have you read this?" Skeppy showed his book to Bad.

Bad took the book, purposely grazing Skeppy's fingers as he took it.

"Oh, yeah." Bad laughed. "You didn't pick this out yourself, did you?"

Skeppy shook his head. "Nope, Angela gave it to me."

"Yeah, you don't strike me as a 'Little Women' kind of guy."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Bad shrugged and played with the pages of the book before bringing to to his nose to sniff.

"Are you smelling that book?"

"That's the best part!" Bad offered the book to Skeppy. "Smell it."

Skeppy pushed it away. "Hell no, you're fucking weird!" But he said it with a smile on his face, so no feelings were hurt. "Thanks for coming to see me."

Bad put the book down and focused on Skeppy's face. "You will never get rid of me, just so you know."

"Oh boy."

Bad stood up. "I should probably go...are you sleeping in here tonight?"

"Yeah."

"Okay...have you eaten?"

"Angela brought food for me, don't worry."

"Okay..." Bad realized he'd have to go sleep in the cabin now, without Skeppy. He wouldn't even need to go outside and have blueberry scented smoke blown into his face. "Sleep cozy, you little muffin."