6. THE DECLARATION

Bismillah.

Dedicated to nusfat. Thank you for your support! Means a lot. ^____^

6. The Declaration

Amir's POV

I don't know how long I have been reading Zai's poem on her page. It's no wonder that she wanted to have a printing shop that sells cards and invitations. She was a literary kind of girl, just like me. How was I able to get to her Poetry Page? I don't know. I only started to invite her as my facebook friend, checking her posts until I saw her sharing a post from her page. Yes, I know they were just words but these words... were like arrows shooting straight to my heart. For the nth time I read it again.

"Dear Future Husband,

No, you don't need to be perfect for me to love you

You wouldn't even need to give me flowers

You just need to worship Allah Alone

For me to give you my very all.

No, you don't need to be rich

Nor wealthy or even famous

You just need to love your parents so much

And you would already captivate my heart.

No, you don't need to be guilty of your past

Nor hate yourself for loving someone way back

Just do your salah, fast and pay zakat

Provide for me and I'll be alright.

Because nothing is ever complete in this life

We all could never have everything we want

So please know that I will always be patient and content

Serving you right, loving you right, as your one and only wife."

My heart felt a certain kind of longing that I could not explain. All memories of Zai's beautiful face and her demeanor made me want to see her. I rise up from my study table and headed for the bathroom.

After getting ready, I got down from my bedroom and made my way to the kitchen. Inah was there preparing our breakfast. My four siblings were already eating when Amah invited me.

I joined in and ate with them. My mind was racing, my heart was beating with a rush I could no decipher. There was this sudden urge. As soon as my four little siblings, Ayesha, Sufiya, David and France were done eating, they bid goodbye with Dad as they had school and work.

"Come on, son, spill it out now. I know you wanted to say something," Inah said while sitting herself comfortably in front of me. She wiped her wet hands from a hand towel then looked at me seriously.

"Inah, I want to get married. Can we ask her hand in marriage tonight?"

"Alhamdulillah!" my Mom shouted. She stood up and kissed me on my left cheek.

"Finally, so tell me who is the lucky girl?"

"Zainab Abdurahman," I uttered.

"I haven't heard that name before."

"That's because you've never met her Inah."

"Are you sure she will say yes to you?"

"I hope so," I answered with all honesty.